Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Carla C is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Created a form from a table, have I done this the right way around

Hi, I am pretty new to access, I have created a sales database for my Commercial Director but I now am doubting myself!

I have created a form based on a table. I put all the required fields into a table and then created the form, tidied it up, added a subform and various other boxes etc. Can you tell me if setting up the form this way will cause me problems later on. Should I have created a form from a blank form rather than the table?

Thanks in advance

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It depends on the purpose of the form, If it is for data entry or viewing current data in the tables, there is nothing wrong with creating from the table itself. It is often the quickest and easiest way (rather than creating it all from scratch from a blank form).

Phew, thanks JoeM.

The form is a sales prospect record so I have allowed the form to create a new number and then drop in the remainder of the fields where required. the only thing I noticed today was when I amended one of the fields the view is different for example. 5% XXXXXX is viewed in my table but in my form the look up says 5.00% XXXXXX what have I not done here?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    As JoeM mentioned, there is nothing wrong with creating a form based on a table. The critical part of a database is not the forms but rather the tables and the relationships between them. You mention a subform. Typically subforms are used to represent the data on the many side of a one-to-many relationship. When you have a one-to-many relationship, that typically means that you have at least 2 tables. So do you have more than one table? What does your table structure (tables & relationships) look like?

Yes, I have one table but pull info from other tables. I am worried now, is this part wrong?

The subform is a different form altogether that I have put to the bottom of this form. Its for notes on the specific Sales Prospect.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Information from multiple tables is often joined together via queries. Note that you can use queries as the Control Source of Forms too.
    Just be aware that not all queries are updateable, which may impact how you set up your Forms (things like Aggregate and Union queries are not updateable).

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I am worried now, is this part wrong?
    If you have many notes related to a sales prospect, having a subform would be the correct way of handling it. In your initial post you mentioned having only 1 table, but based on your most recent post you have more than one table so it sounds like you are proceeding correctly.

Hello, you are all so helpful, thanks very much. I am smiling as I now have a little more confidence in what I have created!

JoeM - I am happy with the form creating the query as this is the information my boss wants to view and miniupulate and it will be updated correctly. My boss queried this too, he wanted to know why I had a form saying exactly the same thing as a query! I will restrict his access soon so he doesnt see all the tables etc, just need to get it up and running and working properly first. And make sure he is happy with it of course.

jzwp11 - Its ok, I only have a few notes on each sales prospect at the moment but it will increase as the years go by. Do you know how I can view them in my query? I tried putting in the field but it shows all notes and not specific ones next to the individual Sales Prospect.

One more thing I am trying to do but I can post it somewhere else on here if need be. I have a contact list and a company list and I need the contact list to update the address, telephone number etc automatically once I select a company from the company list. How do I do this???

Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    If you have many notes related to a sales prospect, having a subform would be the correct way of handling it. In your initial post you mentioned having only 1 table, but based on your most recent post you have more than one table so it sounds like you are proceeding correctly.
    I have a table with other tables in it if you know what I mean?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I tried putting in the field but it shows all notes and not specific ones next to the individual Sales Prospect.
    Did you create relationship between the two tables in the relationship window?

I have a contact list and a company list and I need the contact list to update the address, telephone number etc automatically once I select a company from the company list. How do I do this???
    I assume that the contacts are related to a company. Do you have the two tables joined properly?

If you would like us to take a look at your table structure we can do that. You can zip and post a copy of your database on a post. I would recommend removing or altering any senstive information in the database before posting.

Hello,

Yes, I have relationships created and I think I have the company list and contact list joined properly.

I will remove all sensitive data and send it to you. Do I attach it to a thread?

Thank you so much for you help with this.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Yes, you would attach it to the thread. You will have to click on the Go Advanced button (below where you type your response) and look for the paperclip icon.

Cool, expect it over soon. thanks again..
    Carla

My database is too big!! Poop!

I zipped it.... Thanks in advance.

All sensitive material has been removed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.