Madmax is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

How do you(Acccess to Adobe in VBA)

Good afternoon,

Its been a month or two since the last time I was on here. So to begin with hi! to everyone!(/Furious Wave)

On to my problem, is there a way(in VBA) to send information from a Access field to an adobe document(I want to autofill some forms in based on my information). I also would need to sendkey "Tab" but would perfer another way to do it. Is this posible? If so how?

Please use the below names of fields to on explainations

TBL1= table
    ID=Number Field(type of field Number, input mask for SSN, Required field)
    Name=Text Field
    Date=Date Field
    Active=Y-N Field

If anyone has an example it would be greatly appreciated.

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    hmmmm....any idea what "/Furious Wave" does when you type it into a DOS prompt?

well you first have to find out if there is an adobe library for acc. i'm almost 100% sure that there are some for acrobat, but obviously not for reader. or rather there shouldn't be, simply by program definition.

if you have adobe acrobat version x.y.z on your machine, link the dll in your references list and use intellisense to see what's available for properties and methods inside the actual library itself. that should tell you what you need to know, or at least get you started...

Sorry. what is intellisense? I dont see it anywhere.

I am idiot I know what you mean now.

Windows XP Access 2007
    intellisense = "intelligent sense". looking at the word, that's exactly what it looks like doesn't it?

still though...kinda makes you question the whole set of terms! why do I need intelligence if I already have sense anyway? maybe if I need change for a dollar???

lol to that. Which DLL would be in there are several in Adobe reader file. should I just link all of them?

Windows XP Access 2007
    linking them / clicking the checkbox is irrelevant. all that means is that you've authorized the visual basic environment to pull data out of that library and compile it for execution purposes.

so click all of them and then just start typing dec statements. type this:

Code:
    dim objTest as Ad
    and then see what you see in the dropdown. I would assume that the library references start with "Ad" at least, for Adobe. I would assume you will see the DLL object icon representations in the dropdown list.

explore them. I don't know what is what in Adobe, but if there is a DLL reference to a 3rd party software program in access, you can be sure it has an equivalent to a DOM-based structure of somekind (DOM = document object model).

all programs do.

There is no DLL files linked unfortunately. I am on a government computer so I would probable have to direct link Adobe dll myself but there are about 10 in the directory. Would be maybe be easier if I had Adobe pro put on all the computers in the office here that would use this ability?

Windows XP Access 2007
    dude, I'm confused. did you reference libraries that were prefixed with the word "ADOBE" in the visual basic IDE? it sounds to me like you're actually looking at the DLL files yourself in a windows OS directory. that has nothing to do with what I've been saying...

There is nothing in the IDE with "Adobe". I checked the net and it said you had to manually link the DLL's from windows directory through the add-in functions under access options. It doesnt matter though. went straight to adobe and the official answer is this: with reader you have to download a seperate software package that has the proper information for MS access(and other office programs) to comunicate with it. Adobe pro X has this integrated with it already so I probable will just put in a ticket with our comm squadron to get adobe pro added to the computers here in the office so that the info will show up in the VBA editor. Thanks for the help you provided,

Windows XP Access 2007
    no problem! had a great time just foolin around!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.