Steven Seagal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Access keeps "Not Responding" when trying to run a query.

in this query, I have about 25 small queries, 3 fields each, each linking to this one big table where one field of each query links to one field of the big table. Whenever I run the query, my program hangs up and I'm eventually forced to force-quit it. Is it because my computer isn't strong enough (it's your typical desk top computer for an office job) or could it be because the servers in which all the access databases are stored on aren't very good networks? Sorry I don't have too much information for an issue like this, but I can provide more if people need to know.

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    why not make more movies environmentalism? Doesn't that provide you with enough salary for a decent living? why do you have to be messing around with networks anyway? (please note, you just read a humorous statement that was intentional).

first of all, non-responsiveness of office programs is so normal, it hasn't even been considered a serious threat to normal computer operation for quite some time now. in short, it's expected!

I'd say the first question to ask here is...is this the only occurance you've ever witnessed? if NO, the hardware can't possibly be the issue. if fe/be setup, you have 2 bottleneck issues I would think.... 1) complexity of query request, and 2) whether or not the server likes you that day.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    There are a number of things that can give the effect you describe. First is If you query is based on 25 other queries all of those queries must complete and return data to your query. Second is if each of those queries have criteria to limit your data and the source of that data is on a server the entire data set moves across the network. For example your query without criteria returns 50,000 Records. With Criteria the total is reduced to 1000 records. The entire 50,000 Records is retrieved from the server the criteria is applied locally and only the matching records are displayed. Now do that once for each sub query. Depending on the speed of your network and the amount of network traffic your throughput can be extremely slow. Depending on your source data you may have other options to consider.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.