LPNorman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

"You don't have exclusive access...." error when opening a form

This was posted on "Microsoft Answers" last week with no response, so I am posting here.

I am just a programmer wannabe so please bear with me.

I just started getting get the "You don't have exclusive access...." error but not when I open the DB. It is only when I try to open a form and the other user is in the DB (there are only two of us).
    User 1 = Win 7 / Access 2010, User 2 = XP / Access 2007
    - The DB is a template from the MS site that I tweaked (field names, and some minor revisions, etc.) and we have been using for nearly a year
    - This problem only started this afternoon, and we have made no changes, only data entry (deleted all of today's entries - no joy)
    - DB is in shared file server folder (Small Business 2003 server)

- If User 1 opens the DB "exclusive" it operates correctly (i.e. fast response).
    - If User 1 opens the the DB normally, it operates correctly, but has slow response
    - User 1 gets the error message anytme User 2 has the DB open, no matter the sequence of access
    - When the error appears, If User 1 clicks the OK button enough times (or the "x"), the form will eventually open. Data can be entered and saved, but the response on close is so slow that sometimes there is a brief "not responding" error in the top bar before cursor is returned to teh user.
    - User 2 has NO issues, regardless of whether or not User 1 has the DB open
    - No add-ins on User 2 or User 1
    - Re-boots on both PC's and the file server: no change
    - Checked all of the user settings to ensure shared access, etc.

Any suggestions? I suppose that splitting the DB may solve the problem but I would rather determine root cause.

Thanks,

Larry

No one has offered any help for my problem, but I though that I would at least post this update:

This issue disappered this morning with NO changes from yesterday, when it was still occuring.

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    it looks to me like you're looking for technology perfection, my friend. It doesn't happen.

If I were you, I'd just be happy your database works with minimal errors! Remember, just because there are supercomputers out there with millions of CPU chips in them, and lightning speed machines that operates by the 10^8 nanosecond, this doesn't mean that machines are any smarter than the first 1 or 2 bit signal-producing black boxes back in the 70's! If anything at all, machines are FAR more dangerous today than they were during the years that they were being created.

I am not looking for perfection, but I know that the product is not supposed to operate like this.

This is certainly not the forum for history lessons on computers. I doubt that anyone on this forum is willing to try to sell their customers on the fact that their software "works with minimal errors"; if that is your business model or work ethic I doubt that you will be in business or employed at any one place very long.

Windows XP Access 2007
    well the post wasn't hostile, sir. Sorry for the interpretation. heck, I had no idea you were talking about a customer complaint. Truth of the matter though is, of course, that this forum isn't here as tech support for vendors.

However, your issue might actually be one that's valid. can you explain this statement of yours?

I just started getting get the "You don't have exclusive access...." error but not when I open the DB. It is only when I try to open a form and the other user is in the DB (there are only two of us).

did you put a form object's shortcut on your desktop or a link to it somewhere on your hard disc outside of the actual acc program? if you click that link, the other user has the db open (and that actual form too), then simple record locks will throw that error immediately. I would think anyway.

is that what's happening? If your action is resulting in a data-binding process that's trying to initialize itself and the other user went through the process first, the error makes perfect sense.

I am not a vendor, just supply some (very limited) technical support to the company that I work for, and I apologize for mis-interpreting your original reply.

No, the only shortuts are directly to the DB file, and the only action required for User #1 to get the the error is for User #2 to open the DB.

The error started last week and continued until yesterday; this morning it just disappeared for no reason. No server updates or changes in either PC.

Windows XP Access 2007
    well if that's the case, the best thing my own brain could offer is just to think that "$hit happens". that's all I have for you. hopefully it doesn't happen again! good luck to ya!

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I suppose that splitting the DB may solve the problem but I would rather determine root cause.
    If you have more that one user, splitting the db is a must! Even with a single user it would be better to split it.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.