Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dgtampa is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

message box won't work in On_Click event of form control...

Hello,

Some info: I am using AC2010. Since I am not proficient in VBA, I tend to use the MacroBuilder.

I have an unbound form named frmStart which calls forms or reports (via event-based macros) conditionally through the user's selection(s) from 2 controls: a combobox named cboTaskChoose (which has a value list of 6 different choices) and a textbox called cboDatePick (I know...it's a "textbox" which has "cbo" as a prefix in the name...just stay with me). After the user selects/inputs values in the two controls, they click on a button control called btnOpenSchedule which runs the macro to call the corresponding form or report.

If the user does not enter a value/make a selection in cboTaskChoose I would like to call a message box to direct them to make a selection. I have tried to make this work with several different macro configurations, to no avail; if selections are made in the form controls and btnOpenSchedule is clicked, the form calls the appropriate form or report. However, nothing happens if I leave everything blank and click on btnOpenSchedule (nothing, meaning no message box, no error message; nothing). Currently, I have created the following macro in the On_Click event of btnOpenSchedule:

If:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" standalone="no"?>
    <UserInterfaceMacros xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/...InterfaceMacro For="btnOpenSchedule" Event="OnClick"><Statements><ConditionalBlock><If><Condition>IsEmpty([cboTaskChoose])</Condition><Statements><Action Name="RunMacro"><Argument Name="MacroName">mcroSelectTask</Argument></Action><Action Name="GoToControl"><Argument Name="ControlName">cboTaskChoose</Argument></Action></Statements></If></ConditionalBlock></Statements></UserInterfaceMacro></UserInterfaceMacros>
    Else:
    Code:
    <UserInterfaceMacros xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/...InterfaceMacro For="btnOpenSchedule" Event="OnClick"><Statements><ConditionalBlock><If><Condition></Condition><Statements><Action Name="RunMacro"><Argument Name="MacroName">FormORReport</Argument></Action></Statements></If></ConditionalBlock></Statements></UserInterfaceMacro></UserInterfaceMacros>
    The "If" part of my On_Click macro contains a call for the message box macro called mcroSelectTask, as follows:

Code:
    <UserInterfaceMacros xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/...InterfaceMacro MinimumClientDesignVersion="14.0.0000.0000"><Statements><Action Name="MessageBox"><Argument Name="Message">Please choose a task...</Argument><Argument Name="Title">I'm not a mind-reader!</Argument></Action></Statements></UserInterfaceMacro></UserInterfaceMacros>
    Here is a picture of the form (in Design View), in case it's needed (the form is very simple).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frmStartDesign.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	8064

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Please let me know if you need more info in order to help me. Any/all help is appreciated.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I don't use macros, but I think you'd need a condition. The VBA would look a little like the test here:

http://www.baldyweb.com/BeforeUpdate.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thank you for your prompt reply Paul! I was able to try out a couple of things yesterday, based on your suggestion. I tried putting my macro (AC2010's macro builder seems to me to work a lot like VBA -in terms of its structure) into the Before Update event of the form as well as in the Before Update event of both controls (cboTaskChoose and btnOpenSchedule), but I have the same result as before.
    Paul, you also said that you think a condition would be needed; the macro I made uses the function "IsEmpty" to evaluate whether or not the user has made a selection from the control cboTaskChoose. Is that what you meant by a condition?
    Since you said that you don't use macros, I have converted examples of my macros, converted to Visual Basic (thought it would help):
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    '------------------------------------------------------------
    ' btnOpenSchedule
    '
    Function btnOpenSchedule()
        If (IsEmpty(Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose)) Then
            Beep
            MsgBox "You need to choose a task...", vbInformation, "I'm not a mind reader!"
            DoCmd.CancelEvent
            DoCmd.GoToControl "Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose"
        Else
            DoCmd.RunMacro "FormORReport", , ""
        End If
    End Function

Option Compare Database
    ' FormORReport
    '
    Function FormORReport()
        If (Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose = "Make A Schedule") Then
            DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSchedule", acNormal, "", "", , acNormal
        ElseIf (Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose = "Level Review Report") Then
            DoCmd.OpenReport "rptLevel_Reviews", acViewReport, "", "", acNormal
        ElseIf (Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose = "Update Levels") Then
            DoCmd.OpenForm "frmLevel_Review", acNormal, "", "", acEdit, acNormal
        ElseIf (Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose = "Add or Delete Beneficiaries") Then
            DoCmd.OpenForm "frmNew_Beneficiaries", acNormal, "", "", acEdit, acNormal
        ElseIf (Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose = "View/Print Caseload") Then
            DoCmd.OpenReport "rptCaseload", acViewReport, "", "", acNormal
        ElseIf (Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose = "View/Print Groups") Then
            DoCmd.OpenReport "rptBeneficiary_Group_Lists", acViewReport, "", "", acNormal
        End If
    End Function
    I hope this helps you help me! :-)

Windows XP Access 2007
    You wouldn't use IsEmpty, you'd use a test like I showed. It tests for Null and a zero length string. Here's more info:

http://www.baldyweb.com/NullEmptyEtc.htm

I personally would only use macros if I was creating a web database, as they can't contain VBA.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hello again,

Thank you for helping me to learn about this (or at least, try to help me ).

I have tried to use this code in the Before Update property of both my form and the control itself, based on the test code you pointed me to:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    If Len(Me.cboTaskChoose & vbNullString) = 0 Then
      MsgBox "You need to choose a task"
      Cancel = True
      Me.cboTaskChoose.SetFocus
    End If
    End Sub
    I still did not get a message box after leaving the field blank and clicking on the button control btnOpenSchedule. I know I'm missing something!

I may have taken you too literally in using/modifying the example code you linked me to, but I don't know enough yet to really ad-lib in code. Or, perhaps I'm putting it in the wrong place? Thank you again for your patience and helping me learn...

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -
    I think you have the Null test in the wrong event. Try putting your no-selection check in the on_click event of the command button. If no selection has been made, give the error message, and use Exit Sub to exit the procedure.

Private Sub btnOpenSchedule_Click
    If Len(Me.cboTaskChoose & vbNullString) = 0 Then
    MsgBox "You need to choose a task"
    exit sub
    End If
    '
    ' Selection is OK - continue
    '
    End Sub

I cannot be sure, but I suspect that in an unbound form, the before update event will never occur, because there is no record to update.

John
    Last edited by John_G; 06-14-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Fix up the formatting

Windows XP Access 2007
    I missed the fact that it was an unbound form. As John mentioned, behind your save button would be the appropriate place.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hello there folks!

I have been indisposed for the past couple of days and have not been able to keep working on my database. However, I thank you all for your suggestions thus far.

Paul and John; in my first post I stated that I had tried putting a macro behind the button control in my form; seeing that John said he prefers VBA to macros, I have just tried placing the following code in the On Click property of the button control btnStartSchedule in the form:

Code:
    Private Sub btnOpenSchedule_Click()
    If (IsEmpty(Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose)) Then
            Beep
            MsgBox "You need to choose a task...", vbInformation, "I'm not a mind reader!"
            DoCmd.CancelEvent
            DoCmd.GoToControl "Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose"
        Else
            DoCmd.RunMacro "FormORReport", , ""
        End If
    End Sub
    However, I still get no response from the database if I don't put in a value. I have uploaded a "redacted" version of the database where the names of people have been changed "to protect the innocent" if it helps at all...

I would also like the textbox control cboDatePick to be validated in the same way; I thought it would be easier than the other, but I can get neither one nor the other to work now...

TestSeniority and Review.zip

Windows XP Access 2007
    As mentioned earlier:

If Len(Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose & vbNullString) = 0 Then
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

The IsEmpty() function is not the right one to use - is is always False for a form control - use IsNull() instead.
    You don't need docmd.CancelEvent - it does nothing because the On_Click event does not have a Cancel argument. Use Exit Sub to leave the procedure if necessary.

Also, I notice that your sub is called btnOpenSchedule_Click, but you state that it is for btnStartSchedule; that could have a lot to do with your problem!

John
    Last edited by John_G; 06-19-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: fix typos

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thank you Paul and John for your help. Paul...Yes, I am a little hard-headed.

Your suggestions/clarifications got the message box working, but now I get a macro error:
    "Run-time error '2109':
    There is no field named 'Forms!frmStart!cboTaskChoose' in the current record."

Wouldn't that have been cancelled based on the VBA coding? I tried also adding Exit Sub before the End Sub, but the error still pops up. How might I cancel that? Would I use

Code:
    DoCmd.ClearMacroError?
    By the way; Paul, why do you call yourself the "wino moderator?" To me that seems like a contradiction in terms... (hmm...thinking about drinking wine now...)

Windows XP Access 2007
    Try this (I assume this is the line throwing the error):

DoCmd.GoToControl Me.cboTaskChoose

I'm a moderator, I'm a wino; "wino moderator" seemed like a logical name!
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Try this (I assume this is the line throwing the error):

DoCmd.GoToControl Me.cboTaskChoose

I'm a moderator, I'm a wino; "wino moderator" seemed like a logical name!
    Paul, you were correct in your assumption that it was the GoToControl command that was throwing the error.

Your suggestion took care of the last error, but now I have a new error:

Run-time error '2498':

An expression you entered is the wrong data type for one of the arguments.]

The debugger highlights the new line of code (DoCmd.GoToControl Me.cboTaskChoose)

I did some research on this error, but I don't understand a lot of what is being suggested as a solution (forced conversion in code, etc.). Don't know why there would be a mismatch in data types now when all we changed was a command...

Windows XP Access 2007
    Try this instead:

Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The control name has to be a string containing the control name:

DoCmd.GoToControl "cboTaskChoose"

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.