cheyanne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Hosting an Access 2010 database on a Windows Server

Hi

I have a database which is now reasonably finished and am looking slightly ahead at how it can be accessed
    by the staff. The first clinic has two stations that need constant access to it, namely the clinic area and the reception area.
    The second clinic is about 3 kilometers distance away from the main clinic and will also need constant access which, I presume,
    would be by hosting the database on a Windows based Server, to which all three locations would connect and then be able to

use the database directly. When I say Windows Server I mean as could be used to host a web site on the Internet rather than
    use of an internal Intranet system.

As this is all totally new to me can anyone describe exactly what I now need to do to achieve this goal.

Should I split the database and only host the backend part on the server (i.e. the tables)?
    Does the whole database need to be uploaded to the Windows Server?
    Is any other software required to make this work?
    I presume that I would need to introduce record locking? Is this easily done and, if so, how?
    And anything else that you feel I would need to know.

Any help will be most gratfully received.

Regards

Cheyanne

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Web hosting is an entirely different matter from just splitting db and placing the backend on the LAN file server and frontend on each user machine. Yes, additional software (possibilities are IIS, Apache, Asp.net, Sharepoint) would be needed. Some use VPN to remotely link to the file server but I understand processing can be very slow.

I manage a split db (not web based) and never did anything special about record locking.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

cheyanne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Hi June7

Thanks for your reply

I wonder if you may have misunderstood what I believe I require. A LAN server (i.e. Local Area Network? would only be
    suitable for the main clinic and its two areas i.e. clinic and reception. (i.e. an Intranet)

The second clinic is, geographically, some 3 kilometers away and therefore would be impossible to connect to
    physically to a LAN system.

I believe the only solution is to have the database (not sure whether this is just the back end or all of it) hosted
    on a Windows Server just as one would host a web site. I have access to such a server, for the web sites I have designed,
    but I was advised by the provider that had it been a MySQL database they could have offered that service willingly, however because
    it is designed on Access they advise that I need to host it on a Windows Server - all their servers run on Linux using Apache and MySQL.

Do you know if this is possible?

Regards

Cheyanne

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I do understand, and yes it makes sense the hosting web server would have to be Windows based. Still need web software and/or maybe VPN. My point is web serving is much more complicated than making a database available on a LAN file server.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.