hello123 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

I need help with my Database

I am in need of help with a database i am trying to create to track employee training...i have gotten close but think i am missing something...here is a short list of my tables
    Employee
    ID - PK
    LastName
    FirstName
    Training
    ID - PK
    TrainingClass

EmployeesTraining
    ID - PK
    TrainingID - FK
    EmployeeID - FK
    I have thought about having a Instructor table but havent since the instructors will also be in the employee table.

I think i have a grasp on the table design...i just get lost when i create a form and try to match the number up with a name..
    I tried the query and a list box but there is over 500 employees so that will take a while to look through.
    when i did the query to the employee i ended up with alot of repeats...Any advice would be very appreciated!!!

I plan on adding to the database one i get this started

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Data structure looks good so far.

Should be only one record per employee in Employee table. So RowSource (use a comobobox instead of listbox) for employees would be:

SELECT ID, LastName & ", " & FirstName As EmpName FROM Employee ORDER BY LastName & ", " & FirstName;

Properties for combobox:
    BoundColumn: 1
    ColumnCount: 2
    ColumnWidths: 0";2"
    AutoExpand: Yes
    LimitToList: Yes

What do you mean by 'match the number up with a name'?

The query with repeats is the RecordSource for form? Probably need to use a form/subform arrangement.

1. Main form bound to Employee and subform bound to EmployeesTraining. This would allow entry of all training for an employee.
    or
    2. Main form bound to Training and subform bound to EmployeesTraining. This would allow entry of all employees for one training.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I see what you are saying...i see now where i was going wrong...i will give this a try in the morning and if it fixes i will mark as solved...thanks for the help!

I have a few questions
    i linked the names on name combo boxes so when last name is selected it only brings up first names that match that last name...but Emp ID doesnt change...why?

I also want to know how to get query to pull record for each class what employees had the class and in reverse...meaning a query for which class a indvidual employee has had.

also how to make the employer combo box stay populated for each employee..

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    ID doesn't change because the comboboxes are bound. You are changing the value in the record. Why use comboboxes as inputs for names? What is purpose of the comboboxes? If you want them to be inputs for search criteria, they cannot be bound. Review http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

Don't really understand your confusion about building queries. Try building reports. One can group by training and one can group by employee.

Need a field in EmployeeT for the employerID. Bind the employer combobox to that field.

Remove TrainingID from EmployeeT
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.