Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sw1085 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Red face Access 2007 - APPEND QUERY IN VBA - Runtime Error 3129

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and I hoped someone could help me correct my code below as I am currently getting an error message of Run-time error 3129?
    Sub TRFDATATO()
    Dim tName As String
    Dim strSQL As String
    tName = "tblDatato & tblDatafrom.CO_CODE " & _
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO " & tName & _
    "SELECT SUN_DB, ACCNT_CODE, [NET AMOUNT], DESCRIPTN, JRNAL_LINE FROM " & _

"(SELECT SUN_DB, ACCNT_CODE, [NET AMOUNT], DESCRIPTN, 1 AS JRNAL_LINE " & _
    "FROM tblDatafrom" & _
    "WHERE [Ready] = True And Null<>[ACCNT_CODE] And Null<>[NET AMOUNT]" & _
    "UNION ALL" & _
    "SELECT SUN_DB, SUPP_CODE, [GROSS AMOUNT], DESCRIPTN, 2 AS JRNAL_LINE" & _
    "FROM tblDatafrom" & _
    "WHERE [Ready] = True And Null<>[SUPP_CODE] And Null<> [GROSS AMOUNT]" & _
    "UNION ALL" & _
    "SELECT SUN_DB, 271 AS ACCNT_CODE, VAT, DESCRIPTN, 3 AS JRNAL_LINE" & _
    "FROM tblDatafrom" & _
    "WHERE [Ready] = True AND Null<>ACCNT_CODE)"
    DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
    End Sub

Thanks again

SW

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The value "tblDatato & tblDatafrom.CO_CODE " that the variable tName is set to doesn't make sense.

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblDatato " & _

Need separating space at the end of each line before the quotation mark.

Can't use Null as criteria, use Is Null.
    "WHERE [Ready] = True AND Not ACCNT_CODE Is Null)"
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sw1085 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The value "tblDatato & tblDatafrom.CO_CODE " that the variable tName is set to doesn't make sense.
    The records to transfer would be based on the tblDatatoXXX - the XXX is a field from the table I am transferring from called CO_CODE. Does the above not achieve the concatenating of the two?

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblDatato " & _

Need separating space at the end of each line before the quotation mark.
    Thanks will correct.

Can't use Null as criteria, use Is Null.
    "WHERE [Ready] = True AND Not ACCNT_CODE Is Null)"
    Thanks will correct this too.

June7 is online now VIP
    Anything within quote marks will be interpreted by the SQL engine as a literal string. So it will look for a table named "tblDatato & tblDatafrom.CO_CODE " and fails not only because there isn't such a table but even if there were, there are spaces in the string. Names with spaces must be enclosed in [].

Must concatenate variables.

"INSERT INTO tblDatato" & tblDatafrom.CO_CODE & " " & _

Where are you running this code - behind a form? Is tblDatafrom.CO_CODE a field in the form's RecordSource?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sw1085 is offline Novice
    Hi - Now I get an error 424 - Object required.

The code sits under a button on a form.

Here the full code:

Private Sub Command156_Click()
    Dim tName As String
    Dim strSQL As String
    tName = "tblSunDatabase" & tblTest.SUN_DB & " " & _
    "FROM tblTest" & _
    "WHERE tblTest!Ready = True And Not [ACCNT_CODE] is Null And Not [NET AMOUNT] is Null" & _
    "UNION ALL" & _
    "FROM tblTest" & _
    "WHERE tblTest!Ready = True And Not [SUPP_CODE] is Null And Not [GROSS AMOUNT] is Null" & _
    "UNION ALL" & _
    "FROM tblTest" & _
    "WHERE tblTest!Ready = True AND Not ACCNT_CODE is Null)"
    DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
    End Sub

Thanks again for your help.

SW

Anything within quote marks will be interpreted by the SQL engine as a literal string. So it will look for a table named "tblDatato & tblDatafrom.CO_CODE " and fails not only because there isn't such a table but even if there were, there are spaces in the string. Names with spaces must be enclosed in [].

Must concatenate variables.

"INSERT INTO tblDatato" & tblDatafrom.CO_CODE & " " & _

Where are you running this code - behind a form? Is tblDatafrom.CO_CODE a field in the form's RecordSource?

June7 is online now VIP
    The missing object is possibly tblTest.SUN_DB. Is this a field of form's RecordSource? What value should be retrieved by this reference?

tName = "tblSunDatabase" & tblTest.SUN_DB
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO [" & tName & "] " & _

Still missing separator space at end of each line before the quote mark.

sw1085 is offline Novice
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

My data is stored in "tblTest" as follows:

SUN_DB ACCNT_CODE SUPP_CODE NAMOUNT GAMOUNT VAT JRNAL_REF JRNAL_LINE READY
    ABC 440A10 275X75 120 100 20 YES
    CDE 123B12 275X60 1200 1000 200 YES

I want to do the following in VBA code:

1. Insert into another table which is based on tblSundatabaseXXX. XXX is the field value from the above records. So in the first example I would first copy to tblSunDatabaseABC and for the second records I would copy to tblSunDatabaseCDE.

2. I would copy the first records in the following way:

ACCNT_CODE would go to the ACCNT_CODE in the the relevant tblSundatabaseXXX along with GAMOUNT which would link to AMOUNT in the relevant tblSundatabaseXXX and JRNAL_REF as 1 and WHERE the READY field is yes.

SUPP_CODE would go to the ACCNT_CODE in the the relevant tblSundatabaseXXX along with NAMOUNT which would link to AMOUNT in the relevant tblSundatabaseXXX and JRNAL_REF as 2 and WHERE the READY field is yes.

The number "271" would go to the ACCNT_CODE in the the relevant tblSundatabaseXXX along with VAT which would link to AMOUNT in the relevant tblSundatabaseXXX and JRNAL_REF as 3 and WHERE the READY field is yes.

The above may help give you some background to be able to assist me.

Thanks again for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by sw1085 View Post
    Hi - Now I get an error 424 - Object required.

The code sits under a button on a form.

Here the full code:

Dim tName As String
    Dim strSQL As String
    tName = "tblSunDatabase" & tblTest.SUN_DB & " " & _
    "FROM tblTest" & _
    "WHERE tblTest!Ready = True And Not [ACCNT_CODE] is Null And Not [NET AMOUNT] is Null" & _
    "UNION ALL" & _
    "FROM tblTest" & _
    "WHERE tblTest!Ready = True And Not [SUPP_CODE] is Null And Not [GROSS AMOUNT] is Null" & _
    "UNION ALL" & _
    "FROM tblTest" & _
    "WHERE tblTest!Ready = True AND Not ACCNT_CODE is Null)"
    DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
    End Sub

Thanks again for your help.

SW

sw1085 is offline Novice

VBA code for append query - dynamic database name

Hi guys:

Could someone please help modify the code below so that the INSERT INTO can be based on a dynamic table name. The beginning of the table name will always be tblSundatabase but the last three letters will be based on the field in the table of the records I am appending to this table. The field is tblTest.SUN_DB.

The code works well per the below though so just need this part added and I'm almost there.

Thanks very much for your help.

SW

Code:
    Dim strSql As String
    strSql = "INSERT INTO tblSundatabaseABC " & vbCrLf & _
    "SELECT SUN_DB AS SUN_DB, ACCNT_CODE AS ACCNT_CODE, NAMOUNT AS AMOUNT, DESCRIPTN AS DESCRIPTN, JRNAL_LINE AS JRNAL_LINE, JRNAL_NO AS JRNAL_NO, JRNAL_TYPE AS JRNAL_TYPE, ANAL_T3 AS ANAL_T3, ANAL_T8 AS ANAL_T8 " & vbCrLf & _
    "FROM (SELECT SUN_DB, ACCNT_CODE, NAMOUNT, DESCRIPTN, 1 AS JRNAL_LINE, JRNAL_NO, JRNAL_TYPE, ANAL_T3, ANAL_T8 " & vbCrLf & _
    "FROM tblTest  " & vbCrLf & _
    "WHERE [Ready] = True AND [ACCNT_CODE] IS NOT NULL AND NAMOUNT IS NOT NULL  " & vbCrLf & _
    "UNION ALL  " & vbCrLf & _
    "SELECT SUN_DB, SUPP_CODE, GAMOUNT, DESCRIPTN, 2 AS JRNAL_LINE, JRNAL_NO, JRNAL_TYPE, """" AS ANAL_T3, """" AS ANAL_T8 " & vbCrLf & _
    "WHERE [Ready] = True AND [SUPP_CODE] IS NOT NULL AND GAMOUNT IS NOT NULL  " & vbCrLf & _
    "UNION ALL  " & vbCrLf & _
    "SELECT SUN_DB, 271 AS ACCNT_CODE, VAT, DESCRIPTN, 3 AS JRNAL_LINE, JRNAL_NO, JRNAL_TYPE, ANAL_T3, ANAL_T8 " & vbCrLf & _
    "WHERE [Ready] = True AND VAT IS NOT NULL)  AS [%$##@_Alias];"
    Debug.Print strSql
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.RunSQL (strSql)
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True
    End Sub

June7 is online now VIP
    How is the query to know which record the value should come from? Are you trying to insert records to more than one destination table in one action?

The value could be obtained by reference to a control on the form. The destination could be only one table.

This is a continuation of your other thread and I have merged them.

sw1085 is offline Novice
    Yes that is what I am trying to do. The field called "SUN_DB" matches the last three letters on the database table.

So if i have a record with SUN_DB code of ABC then it would go to the ABC table and if I have a record with CDE then that would go the table ending CDE.

That's what I am struggling to get working. But the code works well to enter into one table.

Thanks for your time.

June7 is online now VIP
    An action sql (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, DROP, etc) can have only one destination table or query. ALL records from the nested SELECT UNION statement will be inserted into one destination.

If you want to INSERT records to various tables, need to run the SQL inside a loop that will change the destination table 'XXX' suffix in each loop. The records selected for the INSERT will have to be filtered to only those relevant to the table determined in each loop.

Beginning to sound like you have multiple tables where should only be one.

The vbCrLf is totally unnecessary.

sw1085 is offline Novice
    We do have multiple tables but I cannot change those. If I could do any of this in an easier way I would. The tables where the records from tblTest are being transferred to are for our accounting system which has its own front end. We're creating this transaction entry database as an add-on for it.

Can you help with the SQL loop to achieve what I'm trying to do? Alternatively I guess the easiest solution would be to create two append queries but it would really be best to get the thing looping through each entry and working out which table it should go to.

Please let me know if this is something you can help with. I'd be happy to post by sample db.

SW

An action sql (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, DROP, etc) can have only one destination table or query. ALL records from the nested SELECT UNION statement will be inserted into one destination.

If you want to INSERT records to various tables, need to run the SQL inside a loop that will change the destination table 'XXX' suffix in each loop. The records selected for the INSERT will have to be filtered to only those relevant to the table determined in each loop.

Beginning to sound like you have multiple tables where should only be one.

The vbCrLf is totally unnecessary.

June7 is online now VIP
    You want to loop through the records of the UNION query? This gets more complicated. Must open a recordset. Something like:

Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    strSQL = "SELECT your UNION sql here;"
    rs.Open strSQL, CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockPessimistic
    While Not rs.EOF
    CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO tblSundatabase" & SUN_DB & "(SUN_DB, ACCNT_CODE, NAMOUNT, DESCRIPTN, JRNAL_LINE, JRNAL_NO, JRNAL_TYPE, ANAL_T3, ANAL_T8) " & _
    "VALUES('" & rs!SUN_DB & "', '" & rs!ACCNT_CODE & "', '" & rs!NAMOUNT & "', '" & rs!DESCRIPTN & "', '" & rs!JRNAL_LINE & "', '" & rs!JRNAL_NO & "', '" & rs!JRNAL_TYPE & "', '" & rs!ANAL_T3 & ", '" & rs!ANAL_T8 & "')"
    rs.MoveNext
    Wend

Assumes all fields are text type.

It just finally hit me you are building a UNION query in VBA. Will be interesting if code works. The only time I tried to programmatically work with a UNION query failed. VBA would not work with a UNION query I built as an Access saved query. Nor would it work with any query that had UNION query anywhere in the sequence of queries. I had to rewrite the VBA procedure to not rely on UNION.

It is not necessary to use the As alias in the first UNION line if you are not changing the fieldname and also don't need the As alias in the subsequent UNION lines.

sw1085 is offline Novice
    Thanks for coming back to me:

What would I put in here: strSQL = "SELECT your UNION sql here;"

June7 is online now VIP
    Use the nested SELECT ... part of the INSERT SQL you show in your earlier posts. I just didn't want to repeat it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.