sweetiepie is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2003

Form loads blank

I have a form that contains a name and ID field. The name field is a combo box that allows the user to select a name from the drop down box and automatically change the value in the ID field. The ID field has a control souce that links back to the ID field in the respective table. All of this works fine.

The problem I am running into is that no matter what, every third click (or selection from the combo box) the form just goes blank and I can see is is the form header. I'm not sure why this is happening I just happened to stumble upon this problem as I was trying the form out. Please help.

DatabaseIntern is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Wait, so your changing the ID in this form given the name? what is your primary key? also have you tried closing the file and reopening? kinda sounds like a querk to me. Granted I am very new to access.

Windows 2K Access 2003
    The records source is actually a query that joins three tables. In the Name field of the query the criteria is Like [forms]![Form1].[cboName] & "*". I've closed it out numerous times and even backed out of access but the problem still presists.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I'm anything but new to Access, but it sounds quirky to me, but not as quirky as the explanation of the setup, here!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetiepie View Post
    ...The name field is a combo box that allows the user to select a name from the drop down box and automatically change the value in the ID field...
    This sounds as if you're editing the Current Record by giving it a different, already existing ID, which really makes no sense! Are you, perhaps, actually using the Combobox to retrieve a given Record? That would make much more sense than using the Combobox to "automatically change the value in the ID field!"

Quote Originally Posted by sweetiepie View Post
    ...the form just goes blank and I can see is is the form header. I'm not sure why this is happening...
    What you're describing here, where not even empty Controls are showing in the Detail Section of the Form, is the normal behavior if
    • There are no Records that meet a Criteria
    • The Form is Read-Only

The most common reason for a Form to be Read-Only, unless the developer has intentionally designed it to be, is that it is based on a Query that involves Multi-Tables, which is the case here.

The fact that no Record is being returned may be that there is missing data in one or more of the Tables involved. If you are, in fact, using the Combobox to return a given Record, the Combobox Wizard can set that up without the need for using a Query.

The fact that it only does this the third time the Combobox is used is the 'quirky' part, and may, and note that I said may, be the result of corruption.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Windows 2K Access 2003
    Yes, I'm using the combo box to retrieve a record not acutally change the ID. The ID just updates at the name is changed. Sorry for the confusion.

I do have the form as read only beacuase the name and ID should not be changeable. This list populates correctly and I can scroll through all of the names but when I select one the form goes blank.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    "...every third click (or selection from the combo box) the form just goes blank..."

"...when I select one the form goes blank..."

So which is it? Does it go walkabout every third time you attempt to retrieve a Record or every time you retrieve a Record? Or is the behavior only present with a certain Record?

What exact code are you using to retrieve the Record?

How are you making this a Read-Only Form? If you're using

AllowAdditions = No
    AllowEdits = No

or setting the Record Set Type to Snapshot, you could alleviate the problem, i.e. have it return a Record with no data, but the Controls themselves visible, by simply setting the Lock Property to Yes for all Controls.

Is the Form based directly on a Table, single-Table Query or Multi-Table Query?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.