jpihpa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

me.city works in one line but not the next

I have a database set up, it works perfectly in every way I need it to except for the fact that when I enter in my coding for it to create directories (folders) on our network drive it will only work partially.

My coding is as such:

Private Sub Combo97_AfterUpdate()
    strPath = "X:\AAA\BBB\CCC" & "\" & Me.County

If Len(Dir(strPath, vbDirectory)) = 0 Then
    MkDir strPath
    End If

strPath = "X:\AAA\BBB\CCC" & "\" & Me.County & "\" & Me.City
    MkDir strPath
    End If

strPath = "X:\AAA\BBB\CCC" & "\" & Me.County & "\" & Me.City & "\" & Me.HouseNumber & IIf(IsNull(Me.StreetDirection), "", " " & Me.StreetDirection) & " " & Me.StreetName & IIf(IsNull(Me.StreetType), "", " " & Me.StreetType)
    MkDir strPath
    End If

Shell "explorer.exe " & strPath, vbNormalFocus
    End Sub

What it does (which I'm sure advanced users know) is that it will take the data from my fields and create a file structure out on our network drive so we can scan the documents associated with the projects into those folders for an "online library" of applications, pictures, etc. My problem is when I only have the first two strPath's it will create the County and City folders fine...but then I add the other fields to it and it gives me a method and data member not found (see right). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	7861 I am just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out on this one as I have no idea why it is working for one line and then not working the next.

Thank you for any help.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The issue might actually be in the code that follows Me.City. Remove the code and test each piece incrementally, adding the next piece only after the other works.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

It's a bit of a shot in the dark - but try changing me.city to me!city. I've seen Access get picky about that sometimes.

John

jpihpa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Ok. I'll give this a shot and see because it was saying that the me.housenumber wasn't working and then it said something about the me.city after that now that I think about it. For John_G, thanks for the suggestion but I tried that and it did the same thing as with Me.city...I just want this to work because I've gotten it to work on other databases. Thanks for the help from both of you and I will see if using individual pieces will help. I'll post again later today.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

When I look again, I see that you have code for After Update of Combo97 - what is in combo97? Could you perhaps have forgotten to rename it to City? Which would certainly explain the error!

Another thing to try - change

strPath = "X:\AAA\BBB\CCC" & "\" & Me.County & "\" & Me.City & "\" & Me.HouseNumber & IIf(IsNull(Me.StreetDirection), "", " " & Me.StreetDirection) & " " & Me.StreetName & IIf(IsNull(Me.StreetType), "", " " & Me.StreetType)

to

strPath = strpath & "\" & Me.HouseNumber & IIf(IsNull(Me.StreetDirection), "", " " & Me.StreetDirection) & " " & Me.StreetName & IIf(IsNull(Me.StreetType), "", " " & Me.StreetType)

John
    Last edited by John_G; 06-01-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Add more text

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Good point John_G and seems so obvious now. jpihpa, make sure the controls and their procedures have the names you are using in the code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    You could also try adding a message box at the beginning of the code to check the variables:

Code:
    Private Sub Combo97_AfterUpdate()
       Dim msg As String

msg = "Me.County = " & Me.County & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
       msg = msg & "Me.City = " & Me.City & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
       msg = msg & "Me.HouseNumber = " & Me.HouseNumber & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
       msg = msg & "Me.StreetDirection = " & Me.StreetDirection & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
       msg = msg & "Me.StreetName = " & Me.StreetName & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
       msg = msg & "Me.StreetType = " & Me.StreetType

MsgBox msg

'The rest of the code is here

End Sub

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.