skydiver4 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Problem with split database

I have a split database (Access 2003) where the backend file is located on the server and the frontend is located in the C:\OEL\OEL.mde folder on the local machine. I don't know if this is a Microsoft Office issue or specifically an access issue, but I have been experiencing this problem a lot.

When a user is logged on to the computer and has the frontend database open, it is possible the user doesn't close the file before logging off the computer OR it is possible the user forgets to logoff the computer and the next user powers off the computer and restarts the machine so they can logon. In either event, the new user logging onto the computer cannot open the frontend database. The user receives an error message stating the file C:\OEL\OEL.mde cannot be found. However, the file is in the proper location. The file cannot be deleted either. We have to have a person with admin rights remote the machine and remove the file so it can be re-installed.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this or possibly have suggestion how this can be done different to prevent this problem from re-occurring?

Thank you in advance.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How about implimenting some form of "Kick-em-off": http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/acc...e/kickoff.html

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you for your response. I do have such a routime in my db but unfortunately, I am still faced with the same issue. I just spoke with an employee who I had log onto the computer and sucessfully opened the database. I had them log off the database and computer. A different employee logged on to the machine but they received the error stating the frontend db file could not be found. I had them check the properties of the shortcut and the shortcut for both users points to the same database location, C:\OEL\OEL.mde. I ran my version of the kick-em-off version and no change.

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Try one more test have a user login to the machine open the DB then close the DB and logout of the machine. Then have the same user perform the same steps. Is he able to get in or is he getting the same error?

Windows XP Access 2003
    That is actually what I did do, I just didn't explain every step. Sorry. The second user is still receiving the error. It is driving me crazy. I have many split databases but this doesn't happen with all of them. I just received a call from another location and two of the staff there cannot log on to the database and the third employee can logon. The users who can't open the database when they are logged on to the computer can however logon to the database if the other person is logged onto the computer. To be honest, I don't recall this ever happening prior to Access2003. I don't know if it is a coincindence or not.

Some of my databases are linked using the server path ServerName\Doc\Code\SHARED\OEL_Code\Backend\OEL_be .mdb and others are linked by S:\OEL_Code\Backend\OEL_be.mdb. I have been changing over to the Server Name because the company is not so likely to change the name of the server, but they have changed the name of the directory 3 times. It doesn't appear to make a difference. I also have many databases linked the same way and have never had a problem with them. I do believe most of them were created with Access XP. They were also created in Access 2000 file format. This database is using the 2002-2003 file format. I don't know if that would make a difference or not, but I thought I would mention it.

Each user should have their own copy of the FrontEnd on their own PC.

Windows XP Access 2003
    The Frontend database is located on the local machine. It is located in the C:\drive of the computer. C:\OEL\ folder. So what you are saying is that because I have over 300 employees at this facility and each employee could potentially work at all the different locations, I need to have 300 copies of the same database on all the machine for all the different users? How can this be accomplished? If that is not what you meant, then I do have a copy of the frontend database on each machine.

It sounds like you may have it correct. Your use of the "C:\OEL\OEL.mde" made me think everyone was using the same FrontEnd since a BackEnd is usually an mdb file. The best MultiUser link I've ever found: http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/.../multiuser.htm

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.