wubbit is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

I am a bit confused by this one

I am trying to figure out how to take multiple fields and insert them into a table, which will then hold the new fields and sort them as they were entered.
    I have a table [Includes] which holds the data that needs to be selected (which is another issue I am having... how do I get a checkbox to make the field be inserted, but that is after I understand the main issue), after the selections are made the fields are copied to the new table [T_Includes] which keeps them in selected order (somehow). There can be 20 selections, or just 5, it depends on the contract I am told.

My main question I guess has two parts, is it possible to do what I need to with Access, keeping the selection as the sort and copies of the field to a new table? 2nd part is how to get the data selected, I am struggling with this part of the database, it has me confused greatly. I know how to do this in MySQL, but it didn't work with Access.

Any help or suggested links would be greatly appreciated, I have two weeks to wrap this DB up and get it to production

I will provide the DB if needed to look it over, I have cleaned up a lot of the crap that didn't work already.

Thanks !!!!
    Wubbi

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Perhaps you could use some examples to illustrate the core issue you're having. Also, I think if you gave us an overview description of the application your working on and some of the pieces (contract, selections..) would help with communications.

wubbit is offline Novice

Updated Overview

Sorry, here is an overview of the application for the database.
    The customer wants to be able to create a report using multiple entries from one table as the "Conditions" of the report. He has Includes that are setup and need to be customized for each report, I have included these as a multiple selection in Access and it doesn't allow him to sort the items as he needs, so I am changing this to a new table which will copy the fields [Includes] to a new table and allow him to change the items as needed. The basic needs are to be able to copy the setup [Includes] items to the new table, change the field data, sort these records as he would like to be sorted (by selection seems the best way) and generate a report based on these entries.
    I have included the database for review. So far I have created the new table, [T_Includes], with the fields needed, altered the forms to show the new items (added [Areas] which is used to allow multiple areas of the report, and created a Query which shows the correct items for the Proposal being edited).McCahill_Proposals_v2.10.zip

I want to be able to use the subforms on Proposal to create the Areas (if needed), and add the Includes which will be selected from [Includes] and copied to the new table[T_Includes] where they can alter the text in the field [macro_type1]. The Includes are setup with macro_number and macro_type1 in [Includes] table.

Thanks in advance.

wubbit is offline Novice
    Allow me further clarify, now that I got some sleep and can put down my goal into words.

I have the table Includes which holds the rows of information that the client needs to put on the reports (proposals), this can include 5 or 50 of these Includes.

I created table T_Includes to store the values of the selected Includes (From Includes table). This table needs to be sorted by when the include was selected, i.e. the first one picked has to be shown first on the reports and such. They also need to make changes to some of the Includes, not all but some, so I created a field BLANK which I then replace <BLANK> tags in the Includes using a query.

My problem is, I don't understand how to get the Includes to go into the T_Includes and allow many rows to be selected using a NON-multiple selection box. I am at a loss on how to create a form to give the option of selecting many rows and putting that into the T_Includes table.

I have been out of Access programming for about 10 years and lost all of my mojo

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I would like to help you, but I am not following. In my work history, we created letters for people who had identified certain preferences when travelling.

When Travel/Tourism direct mail campaigns were being set up, we went to the list of people and their preferences and created "somewhat personalized letters" with comments and events or attractions that seemed relevant to their preferences.
    Is this anything like what you are "describing"?

If that's not close, then please make a list (in point form) what exactly
    -information that the client needs
    -on the reports (proposals)
    -5 or 50 of these?????
    -to store the values of the selected Includes (who selected what????)
    -sorted by when the include was selected (when implies time????)(you could use a Now (timestamp)
    -I then replace <BLANK> tags???

Perhaps you could mock up a picture or two,

The beginning and the desired output.

If it's the order in which things were selected by a client, you could have a temp table with an autonumber ID
    ; append selected values to the table and the Id number (and /or timestamp would show the order that things were entered)

wubbit is offline Novice
    - information the client needs are stored as default values in Includes table
    - he would like to be able to customize these values and have them sorted by when he selected them
    - I thought there should be a list he could chose from and just click a check-box to select these includes
    - I have created a separate table to take these values in and therefore allowing editing of the fields required and being able to store these values
    To achieve the above scenario, I was using a multiple selection field, but that was before I knew they wanted to sort by selected time and they wanted to be able to edit the default info.

I am stuck on how to get the list of Includes to show up and allow the selection of them to be customized before they get appended to the new table T_Includes.

Using the multiple selector was great, but it doe not do what I need and limits my ability to use it because of this.

wubbit is offline Novice

Proposal example

Here is an example of what I need the includes to look like. They are the numbered rows that make up most of this document.
    06022011-4.pdf

These are not all standard, but have been setup with default text that they like to edit each contract.

Windows XP Access 2003
    wubbit,

A few things:

Part of the communications problems is the level of detail you are working with.
    [You are working with limbs and bark on trees, and the rest of us haven't yet recognized the forest]

I think if you said-
    I'm trying to build a form letter. The letter relates to a Proposal
    with a list of items of work to be done. Each item in the list relates to a specific task
    or condition and description. The proposal includes pricing information.

A Form Letter (Proposal) is sent to a Customer/Client for signature indicating agreement
    with the work to be done, the terms and conditions.

I would like to store the task items and conditions in one or more Access tables.
    Then based on a phone call or meeting with a customer, I'd like to create a draft proposal
    by identifying tasks and conditions from my existing table(s).

The draft would be available for edit and adjustment. Any new items could be saved for
    use in future proposals.
    I hope this may get someone with experience in such an application to respond to your request.
    But, you may wish to create a new topic "Form Letter Application".

I hope this is helpful.
    Good luck with your project.

Note: In my opinion, based on your pdf sample, your task list is quite specific and custom to each client.
    In the old days we would call this a "boiler plate" document. You would have "markers" in some text or word processing file.
    You would relate each marker with a record in a terms or tasks table (but in my experience there was no editing). Then pull
    the terms and tasks together to be rendered by the word processor. Key features of a word processor was the ability to format
    "highlight", change fonts, italics and most of all a SpellChecker.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.