Namibia is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Unhappy Cannot update. Database or object is read-only ERROR

I want to write an Access 2010 query which should do the following:

• Loop through Table 'Schools', with just one field (SchoolName).
    • Use each value in the first table to select records from Table 'ChildData', with several fields about individual children, including which school they attend (SchoolName).
    • For each school, export the data for its attending children into a separate Excel workbook (.xlsx) that contain the name of the school.

In my search I found the following code:

SELECT ChildData.* INTO [Excel 8.0;HDR=YES;IMEX=2;DATABASE=C:\Example.xls].[MyWorksheet]
    FROM ChildData INNER JOIN Schools ON ChildData.SchoolName = Schools.SchoolName;

Taking in consideration that by Access knowledge is nearly non-existing (can just do the basics) I tried to run this query and received the following error and have no idea how to resolve it.

Cannot update. Database or object is read-only

I did do all the steps found on article - http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-US;2581301
    Is there anybody that could be so kind as to steer me in the right direction?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I tested and a table exports fine but query with table joins generates the read-only error. Could try the TransferDatasheet method. See discussion in http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...el-413629.html

Why are you doing a join of tables then not exporting data from the second table? If the school name is in ChildData then the Schools table is not needed.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

dreday is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Little late to the party on this one, but you could always use a subquery. Something like:

Select ChildData.* INTO [this excel deal] FROM ChildData WHERE (ChildData.School In (Select SchoolName from schools));

Didn't test but it takes out the join so maybe you'll have better luck exporting

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.