asearle is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Sharing data between sites ...

Hallo everyone,

I have built an MS-Access solution which over time has become quite complicated with a large number of screens and of tables.

At the moment the data is entered by one user and the results/reports uploaded to an website where the information can be widely viewed. So far this has worked fine.

However, the main user would now like to share the task of data-entry / data-editing with other users on other sites a requirement which is rather tricky to provide ...

a. I have considered reworking the system to make it web-enabled but that would be a lot of work for a system which is important but is not intensively used.

b. I have proposed implementing data-entry with templates (e.g. users sending in Excel-sheets) for import into the main system but the main user does not favour this solution and would like other users to be able to access the system directly.

c. I have experimented with VPN but currently we only have standard ADSL connections which provide adequate reception of data but very low speeds when sending. Here I considered upgrading to a package with higher transmission speeds (as well as reception) but the costs are prohibitive.

My current plan of action is to implement synchronisation of the databases via the slower (ADSL) VPN link. I hope that this will work but am not completely convinced that interruptions in the VPN-link will not corrupt data as it synchronises.

So does anyone out there have experience of this kind of scenario? If so, then I would be really keen to hear what you recommend.

Regards and many thanks,
    Alan Searle

Cologne, Germany

asearle is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi Everyone,

I am now investigating using "replication via the internet". This may help to solve our problems.

I'll report back.

Regards,
    Alan Searle

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.