blinton is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Help with table and relationships design

Hi I am struggling to add keys and relationships in access to ensure the following:

Bill is a lab technician
    Jill is a doctor
    doctors perform surgery
    lab technicians perform tests
    Frank is a patient
    Fred is a patient

I want to record
    Bill performs a test on Frank
    Jill performs surgery on Fred

but I want to ensure that I can't record
    Bill performs surgery on Fred (because Bill is not a doctor)

I have made a table of "providers" which includes providername and providertype e.g. Jill,doctor and Bill, Lab Technician
    I have made a table of "providertypes" which includes providertypes e.g. doctor and lab technician
    I have a relationship which means the "providertype" for Jill and Bill must be either doctor or lab technician
    I have a table of "treatmenttypes" which includes treatmenttype and providertype e.g. surgery,doctor and test, lab technician
    I have a table of "patients" which includes patient name e.g. Frank and Fred

I am creating a table "treatment" which includes patientname, treatmenttype and provider e.g. Fred, Surgery, Jill and Frank, Test, Bill

but I can't work out how to ensure that I can't enter Fred, Surgery, Bill in that table.

Any help would be welcome.

Cheers

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    If you are using a Form from which to enter data into your Treatment table, then you can put some validation code in the 'Save Record' button to make certain that the mix-ups you mention do not happen.
    The code itself would be pretty simple if you're familiar with using VBA code.
    If not, you can research the DLookup() function to start with and you can see how it can be used to take a value [Eg: ProviderName] from your Form and return a value [Eg: ProviderType] from the Providers table.

For example, if Bill was being entered to perform Surgery then you might have something like this:
    Code:
    If DLookup("ProviderType" , "Providers" , "ProviderName = 'NameOnForm'") = "Lab Technician" Then
        MsgBox "Lab Technicians do not perform Surgery . . ."
    End If
    This line:
    If DLookup("ProviderType" , "Providers" , "ProviderName = 'NameOnForm'") = "Lab Technician" Then
    is saying:
    If the value in the field "ProviderType" - in the Table "Providers" - where the ProviderName is the NameOnTheForm = "Lab Technician" Then display the Message Box.

This is just one way to get you started. I know I didn't directly answer about the relationships . . .

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.