Whelt is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Restrict user to navigation form

Hello, I joined this forum because I have a question. I'm really new at using access and databases in general. I have a database in Access 2010 where I've created a navigation form, and I want a regular user opening the database to enter a password and only have access to that form, and not the actual tables or the navigation pane. They should only be able to view, add, edit, and delete data through the forms I've prepared, and I don't want them to be able to get to the tables themselves unless they have an admin password. I tried looking up how to do something like this, and I tried splitting the database, but it seemed like I was still able to go right to the tables and edit them from the navigation pane even in the front-end, and if I removed the navigation pane links to the tables from the front-end, the forms I made wouldn't be able to display anything from them anymore, and that's not what I want either.

So, I want one password to give access only to my navigation form and nothing else, and then a second password to grant access to everything else.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    With your database open, click on file, Options, current database. Scroll down to Navigation and uncheck the Navigation Panes. Scroll down further to Ribbon and Tool Bar and uncheck the boxes associated with this option. Close the db and reopen. Your users will now not be able to access the ribbon or the navigation pane.

Whelt is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks for responding.

That method hides the navigation pane from view, but it doesn't actually deny access to it.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Did you do this?

Just uncheck the use special access keys check box in the options.

This should disable the F11 key that re-opens the Nav pane. I don't know of any other way. Do a google search on hiding the navigation pane. If its been done, then its a good chance that a solution will show up.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.