winterh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Need help with ToDo List and 1to1 relationship

Hi All

I am a little new to access so please keep the answers simply, if I explain what I have and what I want, I hope you will be able to help.

I have one table with around 5000 records and getting close to 100 columns (which I am trying to split into dif tables as getting to big and starting to get messages about "property to large").

I have a number of sub tables but one which has all my users on, this is the one I have used to make drop downs on my main form which is made from the main table.

But what I need is a new table which can be linked to a single recorded within the main table and then be able to us the new table as a todo table.

What I think I needed is a one to one relationship between the two tables (but maybe wrong) but my problem is that the main table PK is set by access but not sure what to us within the second table as the notes will be blank until someone adds data, my thinking is can access copy the PK from the main table when you make a new note, my next problem is the form how do I make that work as I would like to see the data from table one and the data from table two on the same form.

Any help would be great or advice or a demo to explain what I should do.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Use form/subform arrangement. Review http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010098674.aspx
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Any idea if I need to us a 121 relataionship if so can you help with that.

June7 is offline VIP
    Reasons to use 1 to 1:

1. Too many fields. Limit is 255.

2. Fields don't have data for every record resulting in a 'flat file' with a lot of emptiness. They aren't pretty and aren't strict normalization but they can be made work. Null fields can be somewhat annoying in some filtering. It is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ahhhhhh....what do you think would be my best option as within my main table I have a PK but until data is added within the second table I am not sure what to us for the relationship.

June7 is offline VIP
    Add data in second table through the form/subform arrangement. Master/Child links of the subform container will synchronize records. The PK will automatically be saved into the second table as a FK when record is initiated by entering value in any field.

You can work directly with tables to accomplish this if you establish relationships with the Relationships builder. But don't really recommend working directly with tables, especially if db will have multiple users. Forms are best interface for data entry/edit.

Thanks found the answer, all sorted thanks again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.