nlldavies is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Database file corrupt and can't see all recoords, open in Notepad and I can see them

Hi, new user and as always I'm after something rather than contributing! Hopefully this will change during my membership

I have a 10Mb backend Access database file which is presenting me with some issues reading all its data and I think it is due to corruption. When I open the data it shows me 847 records available but I know that there are many more records in there and can't see what I am searching for.

I have performed a compact/repair on the database file and it reduces its size to 892kb and still only shows the 847 records.

I have also opened up the database file in notepad and I can see the records I am missing. I get the info I want by sifting through the random characters but I really need to se ethe data on the front end again.

Is there any utility that will perform a better repair of the database that I can use or any ideas on hwo to recover please?

Many thanks in advance.
    Nigel

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Welcome to the forum!

When you said that you open the data, how are you doing that, via a form or opening the table directly?

When you compacted the database did you move it from the server to your local hard drive (assuming that since it was a backend file you had it on a server) before running the compact/repair utility? You might try that if you did not.

You could also create a new blank database and import your tables from the suspect database into the new database. Again this should be done on your local hard drive not over the network. When finished copy/move the new database to the server.

Also, if you are viewing the data through a filtered view you may want to change the default number of records (File-->Options-->Current Database-->Filter Lookup Options for... This is the last item on the Current Database page

nlldavies is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

When you said that you open the data, how are you doing that, via a form or opening the table directly?

When you compacted the database did you move it from the server to your local hard drive (assuming that since it was a backend file you had it on a server) before running the compact/repair utility? You might try that if you did not.

You could also create a new blank database and import your tables from the suspect database into the new database. Again this should be done on your local hard drive not over the network. When finished copy/move the new database to the server.

Also, if you are viewing the data through a filtered view you may want to change the default number of records (File-->Options-->Current Database-->Filter Lookup Options for... This is the last item on the Current Database page

Hi jzwp11,

Thanks for the welcome I'll answer your questions as asked.

1. I'm opening the data from the table directly now to try and solve the issue. I had originally tried it through the form but it shows the same amount of records.
    2. I copied the database from the server to one of the local machines. I am currently working on the data on a laptop not connected to the newtork, I did this to avoid messing up the original setup.
    3. I've gone the route of creating a blank database and imported the table and performed this locally, again the exact sam enumber of records appear.
    4. Just tried the filter setting and increased it to over 15,000, there is no change.

Many thanks for your response.

Nige

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Was an archiving done recently?

The only other thing would be to pull up a backup and see if the backup has the records.
    Sorry that I could not be of more help.

tanvi is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by nlldavies View Post
    Hi, new user and as always I'm after something rather than contributing! Hopefully this will change during my membership

I have a 10Mb backend Access database file which is presenting me with some issues reading all its data and I think it is due to corruption. When I open the data it shows me 847 records available but I know that there are many more records in there and can't see what I am searching for.

I have performed a compact/repair on the database file and it reduces its size to 892kb and still only shows the 847 records.

I have also opened up the database file in notepad and I can see the records I am missing. I get the info I want by sifting through the random characters but I really need to se ethe data on the front end again.

Is there any utility that will perform a better repair of the database that I can use or any ideas on hwo to recover please?

Many thanks in advance.
    Nigel
    Hello Nige,

After reading this full post, it seems to me that some of records get corrupted which could only be repair by 3 techniques:

1) Compact & Repair utility (already used)
    2) Creating a blank database and imported all the table (already used)
    3) Use access recovery software which you can easily search on Google like this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=access+2010+repair+software+ (try demo version)

c_farm is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Well can you tell me that how did you repair that database file? And which database files are they? Are they belong to MS Access or any other database program like Visual FoxPro? Why don't you check this one: http://www.sysinfotools.com/products...-recovery.html
    If you are looking for an effective utility then this one will surely help you.........
    Check it.
    Stay blessed.

addisonphilip is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    An Access database file is corrupted due to many reasons. Check out this resource to know the various situations in which corruption takes place in database file and how to fix it: http://accessdatabaserepairsoftware.blogspot.com/

Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    As a process of elimination. Make a few back ups of the back end.

In any of these go to design View of the Table and delete the last Field. Save and open.

If all the records do not show then repeat the process again and again until you find the corrupt field.

I assume you have opened the Table and hit Page Down several times just to make sure you are on the last record.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.