James89 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Databse design for a teacher application

Hi all, hoping you can help me out with my database (you can see it attached). What I need to design is a database for a taecher to use to help them with a class. So as this will only be used by one teacher there is no need for a teachers table. However, the teacher may teach more than one class and a student may be in more than one class taught by that teacher. For this I have created the 'Enrollment' table. This means that a student can be in multiple classes with the unique Enrollment ID. However the problem I have is that it is letting a student enroll in the same subject more than once as only the key needs to be different.

Eg.

1 Jenny Maths
    2 Jenny Maths

This should not be able to happen, however if I drop the Enrollment key and link classes straight to students, it means that each student can not be in more than one class.

Any other feedback about the database/schema design very welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You need to create a combination key on Enrollment table. Make Enrollment Number, Student Number AND Class Name the primary key.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Since you are in development, do not use spaces in object names. Only use letters, numbers and the underscore (_). Also, be aware of reserved words - see http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

Thank you very much. I made those three primary keys, but now am having trouble making a relationship between the Enrollment Numbers. In the relationship view any time I join them and try to enfore referential integrity, I get the following message: "No unique index found for the referenced field of the primary table"

(Updated schema attached)

Thanks

EDIT: ssanfu, I just saw your post. I'll be sure to have a look and make those changes. Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 2K Access 2000
    I would recommend that all primary keys be a long integer type. I always use autonumbers.... there is some controversy because they are not natural keys, but it works for me. I don't show then on forms because they have no use except to link records in different tables. My 2 cents.......

My primary keys are as follows:
    Enrollment_Number: AutoNumber
    Student_Number:text (Because the numbers have a letter before them...this is a must, I can not change it)
    Class_Name:text (the class names are unique, i could add a number, but didn't see a point as the names are already unique)

EDIT: I tried creating a new db with just Enrollment and Attendance and the same problem occured. It would and will only work when I have 1 PK (Enrollment_Number) in the Enrollment table. Anything else gives me the same error "No unique index found for the referenced field of the primary table"

Windows 2K Access 2000
    RE: Text PK's

See https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...er-application
    Chapter 3, then scroll down to "Data Types for Key Fields"

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.