Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wallstreet is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

2 Tables - Parse Name Field in Table 1 and Find Value in Table 2

Hi, it has been a while since I used Access and I would appreciate some help in the right direction.

Table 1 = Fund_ID, Fund_Name, Fund_Asset_Class

Table 2 = Criteria, Fund_Asset_Class

Basically, I want to look up the Fund_Name in Table 1 against the Criteria field in Table 2. Unfortunately the Criteria and Fund_Name values are not 1 for 1 matches.

Sample Data

Fund_Name = 'CALL UTILITIES SEL SECT'

In Table 2 as a Critieria value I have 'UTILITIES' and the Fund_Asset_Class of 'EQUITY'.

I want to parse the Fund_Name in table 1 of 'CALL UTILITIES SEL SECT', find the Criteria of 'UTILITIES' and return the corresponding Fund_Asset_Class of 'EQUITY' from Table 2.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Try:

DLookUp("Fund_Asset_Class", "table2", "InStr('" & [Fund_Name] & "', [Criteria])>0")
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi, I am getting a syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'InStr('GOV'T & QUALITY BOND', [Criteria])0'

This is what I wrote:
    DLookUp("[Fund_Asset_Class]","Rules","InStr('" & [Fund_Name] & "', [Criteria])>0")

Does it matter what field that I put this as a criteria for? Should I be creating a new field in the table?

June7 is offline VIP
    This expression is not intended as criteria for any field. Use it to create a field in query or as the ControlSource for a textbox on report or form.

Could be the apostrophe in GOV'T is causing an issue. Apostrophes have special meaning in SQL and the WHERE argument of DLookup (and other domain aggregate functions) must adhere to SQL syntax. Apostrophes need to be read in pairs. So to have a literal apostrophe in the string requires doubling it. This can be handled with a Replace function.

DLookUp("[Fund_Asset_Class]","Rules","InStr('" & Replace([Fund_Name],"'","''") & "', [Criteria])>0")

Quote marks have the same issue but are harder to deal with.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ok, I used it to create a new field in the query. The syntax works and the query runs but the query is pulling the wrong data. I do not have any relationship amongst the rules table (table 2) and the list of funds (table 1).

Just looking for the simplest way for a query to look thru a set of fund names and match it to a criteria value in another table and return a corresponding value in that other table.

June7 is offline VIP
    If there were a relationship the DLookup would not be required and this would be simple.

I did a test with data and it works. If you want to provide your project for analysis, will look at. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Windows XP Access 2007

Sample Data Attached

June7 the sample data is attached.

Assets.mdb

June7 is offline VIP
    Nice to know the actual names of tables and fields. For the three records in the Allied table, this query

SELECT [Copy Of First Allied].*, DLookUp("[Asset Type]","Rules","InStr('" & Replace([Fund_Name],"'","''") & "', [Criteria])>0") AS AssetCriteriaMatch, DLookUp("[Investment Objective]","Rules","InStr('" & Replace([Fund_Name],"'","''") & "', [Criteria])>0") AS InvestmentCriteriaMatch
    FROM [Copy Of First Allied];

produces this output:
    FUND_ID FUND_NAME TICKER SEC_TYPE Asset Type Investment Objective AssetCriteriaMatch InvestmentCriteriaMatch
    0000A90MD CALL UTILITIES SEL SECT S AT 35 000 EXPIRES 01 21

NON-CLASSIFIED NON-CLASSIFIED BLEND BALANCED - DOMESTIC
    00014J090 TECHNOLOGY
    va NON-CLASSIFIED NON-CLASSIFIED EQUITY SECTOR - TECH/COMMUNICATIONS
    00014J170 GLOBAL EQUITIES
    va NON-CLASSIFIED NON-CLASSIFIED BLEND BALANCED - DOMESTIC

Windows XP Access 2007
    I think we are close, how is the first one CALL UTILITIES SEL SECT S AT 35 000 EXPIRES 01 21 finding 'Blend' and 'Balanced-Domestic' in the Rules table. It should be finding the word Utilities and then the corresponding values of 'Equity' and 'Sector - Utilities'. It works of the first word that it finds correct?

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, this is the conundrum with inexact matching.

A match is made on the first record where Criteria value is found in the Fund_Name field. In this case it is record 39 which has the value 'All' that is found in 'Call'.

As an aid to review the matches, add these expressions to the query:

IDCriteriaMatch: DLookUp("[ID]","Rules","InStr('" & Replace([Fund_Name],"'","''") & "', [Criteria])>0")
    CriteriaMatch: DLookUp("[Criteria]","Rules","InStr('" & Replace([Fund_Name],"'","''") & "', [Criteria])>0")

I don't know that there can be a programmatic solution to your situation.
    Last edited by June7; 04-18-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hmmm, on an exact match, why did it match 'All' with 'Call'? Any other ideas other than parsing the words out manually and loading them into individual columns?

June7 is offline VIP
    This is not 'exact' match. Exact match would be: "CALL UTILITIES SEL SECT S AT 35 000 EXPIRES 01 21" = "CALL UTILITIES SEL SECT S AT 35 000 EXPIRES 01 21"

This is 'inexact' matching. 'All' is alphabetically before 'Utilities'. 'All' is checked against the Fund_Name value before 'Utilities'. 'All' is found in the name so that is the match returned by query.

Parsing in VBA code might be a possibility. Parsing to fields of table would be cumbersome because the Criteria values are not all the same number of words.

I am starting to see a programmatic solution. Will give it some more thought.

June7 is offline VIP
    Here is latest effort. I wrote a VBA function that is called in query with expression - AssetCriteriaMatch: GetType([Fund_Name]). Still not perfect. Can't achieve perfect. Fund name Global Equities matches to Global not Equity criteria value.

Code:
    Function GetType(strFund As String) As String
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim strType As String
    Dim aryWords
    aryWords = Split(strFund, " ")
    For i = 0 To UBound(aryWords)
        If strType = "" Then
            strType = Nz(DLookup("[Asset Type]", "Rules", "[Criteria]='" & Replace(aryWords(i), "'", "''") & "'"), "")
        End If
    Next
    GetType = IIf(strType = "", DLookup("[Asset Type]", "Rules", "InStr('" & Replace(strFund, "'", "''") & "', [Criteria])>0"), strType)
    End Function

Windows XP Access 2007
    June, I am getting an Undefined fuction 'GetType' in expression. Can you send me back the asssets db so that I can see how you set it up?

June7 is offline VIP
    The function must be in a general module. From the VBA editor menu > Insert > Module

Add this line in module header: Option Explicit.

Copy/paste the suggested code into the module.

Run Debug > Compile

Here is the query SQL:

SELECT [Copy Of First Allied].*, GetType([Fund_Name]) AS AssetCriteriaMatch FROM [Copy Of First Allied];

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.