murry is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Relationship Cascade help

Hello, I'm pretty new to Access. I've attached the database I'm working on. I am trying to figure out why when I enter data using the LIMS form it is not cascading into the ISTD Conc table. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The LIMS form has a RecordSource of the LIMS table. The ISTD Conc table has no connection to this form. There is no code to save data to ISTD Conc.

How did the existing data get into the ISTD Conc table?

What is it makes you think data should 'cascade' to the ISTD Conc table? Just setting up a relationship does not populate data in tables. You probably need a form/subform arrangement.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

murry is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The data in the ISTD Conc table is from an ODBC source. It's not very meaningful in that form, so I set up the crosstab query. The sample ID field in the LIMS table comes from the query, which comes from the ISTD Conc table. I need away to associate data (i.e. LabID) with the rows in the query. I thought that by creating the relationship and enforcing referential integrity it would do that. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do to associate that data? Records will be deleted often and I need to make sure it gets deleted throughout the database. Thank you.

June7 is offline VIP
    Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to update the LabID field in ISTD Conc table? Why? Both tables have a common field with the SampleID. It appears that each LabID has a single corresponding SampleID. Why not set relationship on the SampleID fields?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

murry is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    All of the columns in the ISTD Conc table (except for LabID, which I added) are fed from an ODBC source. There is no way to customize what get fed from that source, it sends a lot of extra information and puts it in a jumbled format that doesn't make a lot of sense. So I created a crosstab query that allows me to look at the individual samples (row in the query) and see the information I need about each sample. I am trying to figure out away to add the additional information (i.e. LabID) I need about each sample without having to add the same thing multiple times in the ISTD Conc table. So there will be a unique LabID that corresponds to each unique SampleID. Since the SampleID get repeated many times in the ODBC feed, I am trying to find away to associate the LabID without having to enter it in each row of the ISTD Conc table. I’m probably trying to make it either too simple or too complicated. I hope this makes more since. Thank you for your patience and help.

June7 is offline VIP
    Do a query that joins the tables on the SampleID. Use that query as source for the crosstab. Include LIMS.LabID as a RowHeading along with the SampleID.

LabID field in ISTD Conc not needed. Just need complete list of SampleID and LabID records in LIMS. There are 50 records in ISTD Conc table but only 20 have a related record in LIMS.

murry is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thank you so much. That worked.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.