bonnerm is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Trying to edit fields from one record in 2 subforms ..

Hi all.

I have a subform based on a table with about 16 fields. In the first subform I can edit several general fields (Name, Type, Date, ...). I've been asked to divide up the data entry for the other fields into categories under tabs below. Each tab will be basically based on the same table but present a subset of fields (address, financial, ...). The idea is that if I have a record selected in the primary subform then when I click on the various tabs I see a different series of fields I can update (a single row actually). It doesn't even have to be another sub-form - just a means of linking combo boxes or fields under each tab to the selected record above, so that as I click from record to record in the form above I'm able to update the coresponding fields for that row under the tab below. Clear as mud?

Thanks in advance .. Mark

Jester0001 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Is this what you're looking for?

Using the tab control on a form:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001230049.aspx

Thanks but that's fine if the fields you need are in the main form. I can copy / paste fields from the subform and as soon as they hit the tabbed form they complain that the field is invalid. Mark

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Don't understand the issue. What do you mean by 'linking to the selected record above' and what is the 'primary' subform? The fields on a tab control are all the same record unless you have subforms on the tab pages.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I should explain a little more. The main form has a recordsource based on AccountID and PolicyID (Insurance Application). The first subform shows all "Products" which relate to that PolicyID (The Subform's datasource is a Products table using a Master/Child linked on PolicyID). So now I have several rows in Datasheet view of different Products with about 16 fields of data each - falling into a number of categories (address, financial, ...). There is a "main" set of about 5 fields which can remain in the first subform but the remainder would be filled out using tabs. In any case, I think I solved my own problem. I created another subform based on the same datasource as the first - only using a set of fields I wanted. I set up the Master/Child linkages between the subforms - effectively getting only one record under a tab below (say "Address") when I click in a row of the first subform. Note that I seem to have to requery the second subform whenever I move between records in the first subform.

Sorry if this all sounds complicated. I tried to upload an image showing 5 example fields I'm trying to fill out - hopefully a picture paints a 1000 words .. Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using 2 Subforms to Fill Many Fields of one record.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	6955

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.