nadergirl08 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Lookup Fields in Form

Hello all!

I have a lookup field in a payroll database table. It pulls up a payroll 'service code' from a different table. I made a form so that staff can enter their payroll data, (name, date, mileage, hours, etc) including entering the 'service code' from a dropdown box to designate what they were doing. I was asked to make a change so that there was both a 'service code' and a 'description of the service code' column in the drop down. I changed the lookup field at the table level, but how do I get the drop down on the form to reflect this change? When I couldn't immediately figure it out I tried to delete the textbox on the field and put a new one in its place in the hopes it would reflect the qualities of the new lookup field in the table but now I can't even figure out how to get it back to being a dropdown again. (I'll admit, I made this DB a few months ago, I don't work in Access often and I forget how I made the drop downs on the form work to begin with. I just don't want to have to delete all my forms (there are actually 3, one for each department) and spend my weekend creating new forms from scratch.)

Please Help!

Thanks.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you seen this link before? http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks, RuralGuy. I know I am not the original poster - but I really enjoyed reading through that site.
    I especially got a chuckle out of the Ten Commandments on another page on the site.

I looked at this post because I've never myself used a Lookup in a Table and when I've tried to help a couple of people on here with THEIR Lookup fields, I've had a time of trying to figure out how to work around them and why they were used in the first place.

Lookup controls on forms are just fine (like ComboBoxes) but Lookup Fields in tables simply end up confusing the *programmer*! If the OP responds it can all be fixed. I just wanted to start with the link.

Thank you. I apologize for not following up sooner. I'm looking at the site right now.

Huh. So apparently I am a sinner. I do so love drop downs with choices, though. What's a better option than lookups? I have only made it accessible to users through forms and reports. The users do self-proclaimed semi important stuff and therefore do not want to have to remember things, you know, or think, hence the change I was trying to make to begin with. What can I do to keep this simple for them?

RuralGuy: Don't answer that last question. Thanks for all your help, I actually found my answer in your reply to someone else's thread. Combo box on the form, remove the lookup field in the table. Most excellent.

Thank God this forum exists. <3

Excellent! Glad you got it sorted.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.