EricMK is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2003

Printing Flash Cards

I need to print a deck of flash cards from an Access database. I am an experienced C++ programmer, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to Access.

The flash cards must have one field printed on the front and the remaining fields printed on the back. When I try to "Create report by using wizard," I can print a report with the required information, but it is all on one side.

Is using reports the right way to do this, or do I need to use macros? When I try to use macros, I can walk through the database to extract the right fields, but I couldn't find any methods to print the fields.

If I use reports, can I use the wizard, or do I need to use design view? When I try to use design view, Access opens what looks like a dialog box editor, with a toolbar to place buttons, check boxes, and various Windows controls that don't seem as if they belong in a report.

I'm working a couple of non-programming jobs, since I haven't been able to find a programming job in a number of years, and I need to get this done for one of my jobs. I don't have time to spend six months studying Access to really understand it thoroughly.

Could someone please point me in the right direction so I can get started on this. Do I need to use design view to do this? What controls would I place on the design template? Text boxes or static text would seem to be the only ones that would be useful on a report, so I don't know what the other controls on the toolbar are there for. Or could I do this with the wizard. Thank you.

EricMK is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2003
    I decided that the simplest way to accomplish this is to create two reports, one for the front of the flash cards and one for the back. I created them with the wizard and modified them in design view. But there is still one problem: Although the front of each flash card has only one line, the back may have as few as two or there lines or as many as eight or ten lines, so the front and back do not line up. If I put a page break at the beginning of each flash card, then I can print each flash card on a page, and everything lines up, but I am wasting paper. I want to be able to print two flash cards on each page. Is there some sort of vertical tab stop or half-page break that I can use to print two flash cards on a page? I couldn't find any in the documentation. I also tried writing a macro to run when the report is printing to insert blank lines, but there doesn't seem to be any way to determine within the marco which record is being printed or where on the page it is being printed and therefore to determine how many blank lines to insert and where to insert them.

So what is the best way to print two flash cards per page with proper alignment?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.