drow is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Text Box - Jump to Record

Hello World,

I have created a form for data entry into the main database and the primary key is a record number that is displayed in a text box. Is it possible to make this field such that it can be used for record navigation, but not actually edit any information in the main database? The combo box has this functionality but I would rather not use it due to the large number of records. I have also tried to apply the search for records macro in the combo box to the text box in the "on update" property without any success. Is it possible to do what I am trying to do, or is another unbounded object required? Suggestions?

Thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Do NOT use a bound data control (text, combo, list box) to enter search criteria. This WILL change data in the table. You can use the shortcut menu search tool but always the chance user will forget and change the data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June7,

Thanks for your reply.. Anyways, yes I am good with the idea that with a bounded control the data will be updated, but if I create a combo box in the query wizard with the option "Find a record on my form based on the value I select in my combo box" this combo box displays and navigates the records in my primary key without modifying the data. The only two issues are:

- When the form first loads, the combo box does not display the value of the current record being displayed (only after the combo box is used or the record changed does the box show the current record selected)
    -I would prefer if this were a text box with the same functionality rather than a combo box

Is there any way to do this?

Cheers

June7 is offline VIP
    I never viewed a search combobox that is blank on form opening as an issue.

Why a textbox?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June7,

The only reason that would be an issue is I would like to remove the bounded text box on the form that displays and edits the record number (this is my primary key field) altogether and just have a control source that shows the initial record on startup (in case the user wants to edit that record, they know which one it is) and allows the user to navigate through the records by inputting the record number of their choice. I would prefer to not have them search through a combo box due to the number of records that are in the database. The combo box will suffice, I was just wondering if there was a way to just have the text funtionality only.

Cheers

June7 is offline VIP
    The combobox has a property called AutoExpand. As user types in the box, it will match values in the rows. I use this with a RowSource that is thousands of records with no issue.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.