Too Many Fields

I have a table that has 99 fields. I am trying to create a form but am getting an error message saying that I have too many fields. Is there a way around this? I need all fields and cannot delete any.

Thank you!

It's pretty unusual to need 99 fields on a single table; usually, if a table has more than about a dozen fields, that's a sign that the design is flawed.

Why do you need so many fields?

I am tracking performance of employees via a checklist, as well as points for an internal promotion. We have a lot of products and each one has a minimum of 4 entries each for tracking purposes. I originally did the tracking in two separate tables, but for efficiency I wanted to combine them. There must be a way!!

Quote Originally Posted by ddeering
    I am tracking performance of employees via a checklist, as well as points for an internal promotion. We have a lot of products and each one has a minimum of 4 entries each for tracking purposes. I originally did the tracking in two separate tables, but for efficiency I wanted to combine them. There must be a way!!
    Actually, the multi-table approach is probably the right one. I am not privy to all the details of what you need to track, but based on your last post, this might be a possible schema:

tblEmployees
    --------------------------------------------
    EmpID (PK)
    EmpLName
    EmpFName
    PosID (FK)
    <other employee attributes>

tblPositions
    PosID (PK)
    PosCode
    PosTitle
    <other position attributes>

tblProducts
    ProdID (PK)
    ProdCode
    ProdDescr
    <other product attributes>

tblTrackingPoints
    TrackingID (PK)
    TrackingDescr
    <other attributes>

tblProductTracking
    ProdTrackID (PK)
    ProdID (FK)
    TrackingID (FK)

tblEmpTracking
    EmpID (PK, FK)
    ProdTrackID (PK, FK)
    Period (PK)
    Score

This is just a start, and again, you have not given enough info for it to be definitive. Generally speaking, you are better off breaking up your data into more, narrower, and normalized tables because they do a better job of coping with future changes in needs and they make searching and querying much easier.

It is really inefficient for me to have more than one table, as I mentioned. Here is what I am doing. Let's say we have 20 products. In one form I want to be able to list the customer name, employee name, date, team number, each product, whether each product was discussed, sold, existing, and enter the number of points associated with selling the product. I want my form to be set up similarly to the format of the checklist we use to write the information onto. Here is a small example.

Date
    Team #

Customer Name Employee Name Branch

Discussed Sold Existing Points

_______ _____ _______ _______ Checking Account
    _______ _____ _______ _______ Savings Account
    _______ _____ _______ _______ ATM/Debit Card

and so on. I have the field formated for yes/no for the Discussed, Sold and Existing columns and a number format for points. So, as you can see, it does not make sense to have several tables for this. Any other advice?

Without seeing your database and getting into a detailed discussion of business requirements, I can say categorically that you are better of with a multi-table schema. One form using sub-forms can handle what you are trying to do.

In fact, it is much better. Under a schema similar to what I propose, you are able to add or remove products without having to change the form, the subforms, or the schema. If you try to do it all in one table, then any time you add or remove a product, you have to edit the form and the schema. That is bad design.

Thanks, Patrick. I will attempt to follow your suggestions, although I am not very good at Access beyond the basics, but I'll try to figure it out. Thank you for your help!!

iball1113 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    The form is used to enter data to a table. Perhaps you need two or three tables that are related via a query. First, however, make sure you do not have redundancy in the 99-field-table.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Just so that you know, matthewspatrick's suggestion doesn't simply reflect his opinion, it's what any experienced Access developer is going to tell you! What you're describing/trying to do is create a Spreadsheet, not a Relational Database, a not uncommon mistake with newbies.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I agree, use multiple related tables and form/subform arrangement for data entry/edit. I do think it is a balancing act between normalization and ease of date entry/edit, but what you describe screams for more normalization. If you want to have greatest flexibility for expanding the product selection, normalize the data structure.

BTW, table/query field limit is 255. The limit for number of controls on form/report is far greater than 99, so something else was wrong.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    The limit for number of controls on form/report is far greater than 99, so something else was wrong.
    From: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010341462.aspx

"Number of controls and sections you can add over the lifetime of the form or report...... 754"

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    As we all know, the Error Messages the Access Gnomes throw up are frequently not appropriate to the problem at hand. There is a limit as to how big a single Record can be, and with 99 Fields it's possible that this is the actual problem.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.