Trek-Fan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Issues With Subreport Repeating

Hi,

I hope i am not asking a question that has been covered before (I have spent a good deal of time googling this to no avail), but i have to deffer to the experts. And unfortunatly this may be a bit of a story to get to my point. Anyways here goes:

We have a Access database where I work that organizes jobs moving through the plant. We have (9) different operations and each respective foreman prints a report which shows him daily for the week what jobs he has scheduled. This is a good working system, but the wrench in the gears is that those darn pesky customers constantly change their minds about what they want,, meaning that on any given day the foreman report would change at least once.

I was tasked to build a digital status board to display on the wall, and in my bright optimistic eyes I had hoped this would be an easy task. Undaunted I looked into a interface between Powerpoint and Access to run Powerpoint in Kiosk mode. That doesn't seem to be a viable option since those two don't really want to play well with each other. Then in my dimmer, and more realistic eyes I looked into true status board software, which would require I learn (or pay someone to) PHP and build, then host an apache web server internally to display a web page. Not to mention the cost of the status board software. So then, with my bloodshot, and depression eyes, i stumbled upon a concept!!

I could write a small VBA script that would PREVIEW a report full screened with a small delay between refreshing (Which works great, endless loop of report refresh every 10 seconds or whatever time I specifiy). Thusly I had achieved the impossible. I had my status board, and i used software i already owned!! I felt like King Arthur after tugging Excalibur from the rock ! All I had to do was buy (or scavenge) a old pc to put in a corner and mount its display on the wall in a endless loop. Life again was grand !!

I have now been working on this for the most part of the day with limited success. Knowing my own limitations, before I descend back into the pits of depression and despair, I decided to deffer to the expert knowledge in these forums. I have attached the sample database I am working on to test the report. The data is irrelevant in so far as getting the report to work properly, it was just test data. There is only (1) form to input and manipulate the records, and the actual report that will be used is "Status Board"

So far the report has me stuck. It keeps wanting to print a page for each record in the database, instead of one page with the subreports on it. And the data is not displaying properly in the subreports. To break it down, sub-report pulling from a query, and each query is filtering the records by operation and due dates. I will attach the database I am building so it can be viewed, and then everyone can laugh at me, and tell me to go back to pen and paper because that is obviously all I am qualified to use. I am not asking anyone to do this for me, just please point me in the right direction, because as of now I feel like the direction I am headed will take me off a cliff like Thelma & Louis (not sure if I am Thelma or Louis).

My hopes are, that if successful this may help other people with similar issues. Having basically a free (just the cost of a scavenged pc, and access to run on it) you can build custom, real time updating, status boards !!! Maybe nobody else is as excited about the prospect as I am, but hey, a boy can dream, right?

Anyways, i hope you have not been bored by my ramblings, I thought i would do a bit more than the standard surely, "Hey, I have problem! You guys fix !!" type post, by giving a small narrative of my saga for your entertainment at the torture of other human beings !! I also hope that this should have not be posted in a different section, as I will have to endure the ear flicking that comes with posting an incorrect section!!

Thank you in advance, and I would really appreciate any suggestions, (even if it is to stop with all the story line, because i have caused such an immense amount of boredom, your brain has tried to escape out your ear canals!!)

Thanks again,
    Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The main report is bound to a query that retrieves all project records (there are 4). The subreports are in the Detail section of main report. Therefore, the subreports will be displayed for each record of the main report.

Most of the subreport container controls have Master/Child links properties set to synchronize with the main report on project.

The report is working as designed. If you don't want Master/Child synchronization, remove those property settings and don't bind the main report to data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thank you for the quick response!!! I do not understand what you are trying to convey. As you can see from what I have done, I am very much an apprentice at Access. Where do i get to the master / child links to make this only print once? I would like to understand, so I can learn from this, and not just have someone do the work for me (otherwise I would have to go through all this again in the future). Thank you again for the quick reply !!

Thanks,
    Rob

Actually I found it, and it seems to be working great !!!! Thanks again!!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.