jon473 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Designing interface harder than it should be

I need to design an interface for users to view the database only (no changing records). Its needs to be capable of filtering multiple fields, have a sensible default sort order and be easy to use (like the spreadsheets it is replacing). None of the capabilities of Access 2003 seem to fulfill these 3 requirements simultaneously. For example, if I create a Report it looks good and I can specify a sort order, but I can't embed controls to filter the report. If I create a Form, there is no way to specify a default sort order based on multiple fields and it seems to be intended for modifying data, which I don't want. If I allow users to access the tables directly, the 'filter by form' tool is non-intuitive and clunky, and the overall presentation is lacking, not to mention no default sort order.

What approach should I be using to create an all-in-one viewing interface?

taylorosso is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If I create a Form, there is no way to specify a default sort order based on multiple fields and it seems to be intended for modifying data, which I don't want
    you can disable forms so they are for viewing only.

As far as im aware there are a couple of ways to do this;

1. Go to the form properties and change the property of 'Allow edits', 'Allow deletions' and 'Allow additions'. Turning these to 'no' should effectively lock the form from any user input.

2.If you have just a couple of controls or text boxes that you wish to disable you can go the properties and change 'enabled' to 'no'. Again this will allow the user to view but not alter the record.

hope that has solved one of your problems

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Access is the designers tool for building the application of your choice.It has to cater for all needs, therefore, it is up to the designer to specify how this is managed. It does have wizards to help you but it cannot read minds. Although some users wish it could. Let Access create a form for you and then modify it to suit your needs.

David

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.