Fabricio Sanches is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Exclamation I Need Help with storing multiple dates in a single field!!

Hello Guys !!

I am facing an issue with an access table.
    I have a field named "Contact Dates" , supposedly that field will store in a drop down list all the dates that the contact with the related company was made, how can I store it ? I am using in the current moment a memo data type to store the data and a comma for splitting them. Any idea how to create a drop down list for storing and displaying all the recorded dates and recording all the new data values as date format.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You want a multi-value field to hold dates? I don't use multi-value fields because they are so difficult to work with. Multi-value field has to be text datatype. Use a combobox or listbox to select the values. In table design, set the DisplayControl and AllowMultipleValues properties.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I have access 2003 so do not have multivalued fields. However, even if multivalued fields were available, I would redesign your table structures to have a table specific for Contacts with Companies.

This would include a ContactDate. You could have multiple Contacts per Company.

Have you made a data model and normalized your tables? That's the first step.
    You should investigate entity relationship diagramming.
    You should also read up on some of the issues with memo fields.

Get your tables and relationships designed before you get too deep into the the technical aspects (multi valued fields) of Access.

crismroman is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    You need a new table with Contact Date for each company (many records for each company) . A new data model (as Orange said) One-To-Many (Company -> Company Contact Date)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.