wgroenewald is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Asset Tracking Database

Hi there

We need to track assets (mostly cellphones) in our company and I downloaded a really decent template from MS.

I've added a button on the "Asset Details" form next to the owner drop down box. The button's caption is Track owner change.

What i want this button to do is:
    1)It should only be visible if I changed the value in the owner dropdown box (not too important, but would be nice)

2)It should copy the owner ID (Found in the contacts table) of the corresponding owner and the device ID (found in the assets table) to a table called "tracker" which I've already created. In addition to this it should also put a date and time stamp in the record of the tracker table.

3)Once clicked and the data is copied into the cells in the tracker table it should then also bring a popup box where I can insert a comment or reason for change and save this into the tracker table as well.

I've been trying for days to get this right... but I just can't get it right. I didn't do any sql or access courses, I just google a lot!

I've attached the database. I would really appreciate help.

The reason for this tracking: I want to build a query that will be able to give me the history of an asset (who owned it over its lifespan) and also the history of a contact (what devices were owned by the contact over its lifespan).

Thanks in advance again!!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    1. Set the button Visible property to no. Code in AfterUpdate event of combobox to set Visible to Yes. See 3 and won't need this button.

2. Sounds like what you need is more like the Lending Library template.

3. Don't maintain owner info in Assets table, have junction table that will document the Owner/Asset association. That's basically what your Tracker table is. Also, Location field would not be need in Assets.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

wgroenewald is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks June

The lending library template is fantastic... I do need to make one small adjustment on it though and then everything will be perfect just about.

On the "contact details" form, the "Current Lending" tab. Can you possibly make a change so that only the rows applicable to the contact selected will appear.

ie. If I select Bobby in the "Go To" dropdown box, on the "general" tab I will see all Bobby's personal information. When I click on the "current lending" tab I only want to see the devices that bobby is currently lending.

I would really appreciate it if you could make this change!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Set the Master/Child links properties of the subform container control. This will synchronize display of the related records.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.