ArseniusCamillus is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Trouble recovering database : Auto numbering

Dear all,

after an unorthodox shut down of my computer (good old Windows error), I found out that my database file got damaged. Though I still have got access to the data, the file is useless. (The back-up was overwritten as well...)

Since the data aren't lost, I decided to make a new file, copying the entries. This worked well apart from following:

In the original database all entries in the tables were auto-numbered (= primary key), and those numbers were used to refer to other entries in other tables.
    Now, in the new database I could only retain either the original numbering (but not as auto-numbered), or automatically renumber all entries (with catastrophical consequences for my database relations).
    Is there a way to continue working the new database with the original data ánd to let the computer continue the number-giving?
    I would be very grateful for your help :-)

Feuerstein is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Once you copied all your records, you should be able to switch to auto-numbering by editing the table field properties.

which isn't the case. trying to do so, you get the message that you can't change the field property into auto-numbering any more

Feuerstein is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Sorry for the mis-info. That's what I remembered (incorrectly). Here's something else to try: Create a new table with an auto-number field. Then write an append query to append the records from the table that you copied your corrupted data into. Check if the numbers match, then delete your original table and rename the new one to the original name. This might not work perfectly if you have deleted records in your old (auto-numbered) table.

Thanks for the suggestion. A cunning idea.
    Nonetheless I found out some minutes ago the solution was far more easy. Instead of copying the data from the table, I was able to copy the original tables from the damaged file. Sleeping over the problems always seems to be the best solution.
    Thanks for the help anyway :-)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.