mitchel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Display every attachments in report?

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to display every attachments from a specified row when you do a report. I have a table with 4 columns, 3 text columns and 1 with attachments. The attachments are only pictures. When I try to do a regular report it only shows the first picture. (See "regular_report" attachment).

When I try to use the "picture.file_data" row, it shows every pictures but it creates as many rows as there are pictures, in my case 3. (See "file_data_report" attachment) That isn't what I want. I would like to display the text fields once and then have the pictures display but I can't find any "elegant" way to do so.

What would be even better is if I could display the pictures in line in a second row as to minimize page usage like I Photoshopped in "horizontal" image. (not necessary, just looks better, I think).

I thought about using a second table to store pictures in but I don't see how that'd fix my problem.

While I know storing many pictures in a database will greatly increase the size of it, that is not my goal.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Displaying records horizontally can be done by several methods. Never tried any with an attachment field.

Review this https://www.accessforums.net/access/...ion-21628.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks, as for the data repeating every pictures, I used Hide duplicates. Hadn't thought about it at first.

June7 is offline VIP
    So you have satisfactory resolution of issue or are you still exploring horizontal display?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I didn't have time to work on the horizontal display. I'll be able to try it later today.

wrong thread
    Last edited by mitchel; 02-11-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: wrong thread

June7 is offline VIP
    I did a little experiementation with this and suspect that the attachment field can't be manipulated to a horizontal arrangement. I will be interested if you have more success.

Right now, not even successful to dynamically display images stored in table. Very annoying. Have to use a text field linked to image outside the db. This offers some explanation for the issue http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001151381.aspx.

I bet you will have to use a child table with each image in a separate record. This table could be manipulated to arrange the data horizontally.

Attachment field is a multi-value field. I won't use multi-value fields because of difficulty with manipulating them.

As you said, it only worked fine for the text fields I had. The attachment wouldn't change to horizontal. That made me keep the vertical display. I did some google research and have yet to find someone who successfully did a horizontal switch to attachment fields. (There might be a way, just haven't found one yet)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.