PaulieC is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Northwind Traders Quantity After_Update

Can someone explain in simple language how the code behind the quantity field on the order details subform populates data into the inventory Transactions table as a hold. The quantity procedure calls the Request Hold procedure which in turns calls either the Add Hold or the Modify Hold procedure depending on a condition. I'm struggling to understand exactly what is going on and was wondering if a more experienced programmer could explain in simple terms. By the name Modify Hold i would have thought that the quantity that has been held originally would get changed but i can't see anyway to change the quantity in the inventory transactions table once a record has been written to it.
    I have played around with the database to see if i can. The way it works is you create an order - if the product is in stock the status in the order details table updates to allocated and a record is created in the inventory tranactions table with a held status. Once the order is invoiced the statuses change to invoiced (order details) and sold (inventory tranactions)
    if you create an order for a product not in stock you are invited to create a purchase order.
    Can someone explain the code behind this quantity after update in laymans terms so that i can understand
    thanks

sooty is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulieC View Post
    Can someone explain in simple language how the code behind the quantity field on the order details subform populates data into the inventory Transactions table as a hold. The quantity procedure calls the Request Hold procedure which in turns calls either the Add Hold or the Modify Hold procedure depending on a condition. I'm struggling to understand exactly what is going on and was wondering if a more experienced programmer could explain in simple terms. By the name Modify Hold i would have thought that the quantity that has been held originally would get changed but i can't see anyway to change the quantity in the inventory transactions table once a record has been written to it.
    I have played around with the database to see if i can. The way it works is you create an order - if the product is in stock the status in the order details table updates to allocated and a record is created in the inventory tranactions table with a held status. Once the order is invoiced the statuses change to invoiced (order details) and sold (inventory tranactions)
    if you create an order for a product not in stock you are invited to create a purchase order.
    Can someone explain the code behind this quantity after update in laymans terms so that i can understand
    thanks

I would also like to know how this works. Can someone help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.