larrydwilliams is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Copied Database doesn't function

This is real frustrating... I get things working and then save a copy with new name for safety purposes. The new copy does not work and I receive erroneous error messages on entering new data that the record cannot be saved due to conflicts in keys, relationships, indexes, etc. The original database still functions fine, but I can't protect my work because I have only one functional database. I have practically removed all relationships and indexes from the cloned database and it still will not function. I have run a compact and repair and not luckl.

I'm working Access 2010 on an XP machine.

What is happening here?

LDWilliams

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is the "copied" db also in a trusted location?

Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    Is the "copied" db also in a trusted location?
    Original and copies of the database are all on my hard drive, same directory... just different names.

Can you open the "copy" while holding down a <SHIFT> key and check for missing references?

Copied Access Database fails

Can you open the "copy" while holding down a <SHIFT> key and check for missing references?

I tried the open with shift and nothing indicated references missing or otherwise. I have discovered the problem, I think, although why this applies to copies only, I don't know.

When entering data (manual or macro populated data) into table (via form), the autonumber increment doesn't continue, but seems to reset at 10 to 15 numbers below the last record indexed autonumber which must be unique. To check out this situation, I deleted some of the latest records and find that adding a record functions fine. It appears that any records added in one version continues to increment autonumber fine until the database is copied when the autonumber index reverts back to some previous setting.

Can I get the autonumber generator to recalibrate before entering data? Or, am I going to have to set up a calculated field to generate the record number? Or, if I copy tables, forms, etc. into a new database, will that solve the problem?

I never have had an autonumber index fail before. Could this be related to running Access 2010 on an XP machine?

Oh the autonumber still increments as it should, but the starting point in the copied database is incorrect.
    Last edited by larrydwilliams; 02-06-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Just to Clarify.

An AutoNumber is designed to be unique but not necessarily sequential or contiguous.

An AutoNumber is designed to be unique but not necessarily sequential or contiguous.
    I can live with non-sequential as long as the AutoNumber was unique. That is the problem! I'm not getting a unique autonumber. In frustration, I have generated my own autonum by taking Max(ID)+1 as the next number. I had to change table properties for my unique ID to be just an integer. This has solved my immediate problem, but it is still concerning that I'm not getting a unique number generated via the AutoNumber property.

Thanks for your help. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Larry

It sounds like some sort of corruption. I would try *importing* the "defective" db into a fresh, new db and see if the problem follows: http://www.btabdevelopment.com/ts/impnew
    Have you already seen Allen Browne's link: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-40.html

Copied Access Database fails

That seems to have resolved the problem. I opened a new empty database and imported all objects from the one functional (error free) database. I was then able to "save as" the new database without losing the AutoNumber function. The table seems to increment as it should.

Thanks for your help.

LDW

Excellent! Thanks for posting back with your success and solution.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.