Bdowns is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Copying entry form, change control source

I am trying to copy an existing entry form and change the control sources, but when I change the sources on the copied version, they change on the original as well. I want two identical forms with different control sources. Is there a way to turn my existing form into a template. The tables are identical as well (timecode, organism, size, habitat, id quality comments), but they are for data collected from different media, and I need to keep the forms separate because if someone records as the wrong media we got problems. Any help? Thanks

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you copied the form, changing the source of one should not affect the other. How did you copy it?

Further, having identical tables is typically a normalization mistake. Normally you'd have a single table with a field to denote the media.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Bdowns is offline Novice
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that adding a media type field makes more sense, however, many poorly trained individuals will be using the form and I am certain that someone will log records under the wrong media if I do not have entirely different forms with massive Titles. I tried copying the form by both copy/paste in the table of contents, and "save object as.." Changing the control point in the "copy of version" does change the control points for the original. I cannot understand how this is possible.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I don't either. Can you post the db? By the way, my point stands. It would be simple to have the user choose a media and then open a form that had your massive titles, but still populated a single table. Proper design should come first, then little problems like that are fairly easy to get around.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Bdowns is offline Novice
    Thanks for your help. I will post the database on Monday. Unfortunately I left it at work. thanks again

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by 'control points' - RecordSource? I agree with pbaldy about database design. Multiple identical tables will give you more headaches than dealing with user errors. I don't see how separate tables can keep someone from choosing the wrong media type anyway. Doesn't matter how 'foolproof' the database is, a better fool will come along to beat it.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Bdowns is offline Novice
    Ok, I took Pbaldys advice: added media type field (camera angle) to my video table and went with one single entry form. the database is almost functioning, my new problem is that the transects from the transect table are not appearing in the top half of my Transect/observation entry form. I attached the db. Please feel free to critique/advise/adjust....... any help is greatly appreciated. I am an undergrad bio student new to access... thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    This odd. Forms have subforms that refer to SourceObjects that don't exist yet the subform shows. Where are the forms called Dives_Trans_Subform and Cruise_Dives_Subform and Transect_DWN_ Subform.

There isn't a form named Transect/Observation. Which form exactly is the issue - Observations? The Data Entry property is set to Yes so opens only to new record, can't view existing records. Also, the RecordSource for Observations is an INNER JOIN of 3 tables. Why are you including Observations table in the RecordSource when it is the RecordSource for the subform?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Bdowns is offline Novice
    Thanks, I switched the data entry property to no and my first transect appeared on the form. The Observations for is indeed the problem. I think you are also right that I need to change my join types. The subforms exist, they are hidden in the table of contents. Probably shouldn't have done that. I also probably shouldn't have renamed the any forms, but i did. I am still having issues with the observations form: I now only have the first transect available. I am going to keep working on it.... thanks again

June7 is online now VIP
    Did occur to me the forms might be hidden so set project to show Hidden Objects and they still didn't show, not until I reopened the project, so was confused for just a minute.

I don't think you should have the Observations table in the main form RecordSource. Why is Dives table included?

Bdowns is offline Novice
    Thank you! you solved my problem! The issue was, as you stated, that I had a field from the observations in the main table record source. I thought that putting the camera angle in the main form record source would keep users from having to select the angle for every record or change the default value. But, this was clearly an amateur mistake. I am sure there is another way to accomplish this. I included dives just because that is were the location and date of the transect is stored (there are many transect per dive), and this will allow the users to double check dive table info against the info burned on the video display. Thanks again, now i can focus on collecting data

June7 is online now VIP
    I don't see any controls on form set to the Camera_angle field anyway. Not understanding significance of Camera_angle to this data entry.

If you want to include Dive data for display, fine, but don't want to allow edit of that info. Set those controls as Locked Yes and TabStop No.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.