imintrouble is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Two Tables, One Form

Hello!

I have a form where the user inputs information, such as selecting from a dropdown list and then saving the information to the table which it is made from. I was wondering. Would it be possible to have a specific field in the form ALSO be saved to a second table with the same field?

Best,

Imintrouble

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why? Are these tables a 1 to many relationship? Is it the primary key you want saved as foreign key to second table? If so, use form/subform arrangement. The Master/Child link properties of the subform container will synchronize the related records and the key will automatically save to second table. This is basic Access functionality and Help has guidelines for building form/subform.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I've attached a picture of my form, not sure if itll help but basically, im not sure how to do what you said. What I have this form.

It has a subform which only helps for attaining the first and last name of the student, along with the student ID to make sure the right data is being added.

I'm not sure what kind of relationship this is (never did well in that area). The options from the dropdown are what will be saved to both tables in the same field. I just want the information saved to both when i exit the form.

Sorry if this informatino doesn't help at all, I've never been good at seeing what people need when it comes to information on the accessforums.

Thanks!

Imintrouble

June7 is offline VIP
    Need to describe data structure (table names and the fields they have). If this is a 1-to-many then definitely need form/subform. Search Access Help on topic of subform/subreport.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ok, so basically I went and created a small copy of my actual database. Included are two tables each containing two pieces of unique information and one piece of information unique to themselves. Also there is a form which was created from Degree Audit Results which I had the results of the combo box linked to the field Student Response. I need this to also be linked to the table Followup (for the same field, Student Response).

Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    Table relationship doesn't make sense to me. Don't understand why student response is in both tables.

Clarify:

Each student will have one (or many) degree audit?

Each degree audit will have one (or many) response from student?

The relation between the two ID's was the original one I needed. the one between the responses was made because I thought It would help me connect the two.

One student is audited one time 1-1

Each audit will only have one ultimate response.

June7 is offline VIP
    These are then 1 to 1 relationship. If each student will always have an audit and each audit will always have a response, just have this data in student info table. One table can have it all. Even if the 'always' is not the case, can still be one table and tolerate the empty fields. I know, not fully normalized, but memory is cheap these days and if the db is small and this simplifies working with data, go for it. It is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output.

Otherwise, don't duplicate the response and try to use as part of a compound key. Use the autonumber field in Audit as primary/foreign key.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.