Soule is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Date Control Won't Populate Existing Record

Hi, All,
    I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with my movie code .accdb, and I'm hoping this is the last procedure of new code I will need to write.

1) I have a detail table with two fields, "moviecode" and "moviecodesenddate". I use the date field with null values in a query to populate a listbox on my form.
    2) My form has a "movie code send date" text box control that is sourced to that date field on the table.
    3) When I enter a test record in my form, I enter a date in the "movie code send date" control, but it doesn't populate the date field on the table that corresponds to the movie code I picked in the listbox - or any other field for that matter. I tried saving the record and checking the table, but still no go. You would think it would just save the date in the same record as the movie code that was picked in the listbox, but no.
    4) I suspect this is happening because even though the date control is sourced to the date field, simple and clean, I doesn't know which movie code in the table to populate next to BECAUSE of the listbox. It's like the listbox is subverting the date control's control source. (FYI, my records disappeared in form view until I made sure the test data from my only repeating field in both of my tables was the exact same data).

This is where I could use some advice -

5) I think I need to use an AfterUpdate, OnChange or OnLostFocus event on a DLookup or Like "*" procedure to get the user-entered date in the same table record as the movie code picked from the listbox. I'm leaning toward DLookup code (that looks up the chosen movie code in the listbox on the table and populates the date control value in the date field). What do you
    guys think would be the most straightforward method here?

Thanks, again, for any bit of thought or advice.

This post also exists at http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Dat...-t1981218.html

Frank
    Last edited by Soule; 01-27-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Another idea.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Need to review project if you would like to provide it. Attach to post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Need to review project if you would like to provide it. Attach to post.
    I'm sorry, June, it's proprietary and I can't. I can post my source control and query statements, though. I'll put them up...

June7 is online now VIP
    Propriety? The data? Don't need real data. Make copy and remove data, run Compact & Repair.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Propriety? The data? Don't need real data. Make copy and remove data, run Compact & Repair.
    Thanks for your interest, again, June, but that would be like creating another Db. And two is almost killing me as it is. heh heh

June7 is online now VIP
    Well, for this issue, that's the only way I can figure out what's wrong. Maybe someone else will have more insight.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.