mccadam is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Dealing with multiple quantities of products in access.

Hi all,
    I am currently trying to build a database for the company I work for. I need the database to track our stock from suppliers and distribution records to our offices and private clients.
    The difficulty is that each stock can have a different cost and said stock could either go to one of our offices, or to a private client at which would be sold for more then cost price. To begin with I only added the cost to a product when it was distributed. However when I need to do a stock check on 'what's left on the shelf', there are no cost attributed to the stock so I can't get a figure of how much money is sat on 'the shelf'.
    My Database currently consists of 6 tables - Product/Stock/Distribution/Supplier/Private Client/Offices.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as the more I look at it the more confused I get...! If you need to me explain more about my database and/or explain my issue more clearly then please just ask me.
    Thank you in advance
    mccadam

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Welcome to the forum!

To get a better understanding of your table structure, could you provide a list of fields in each of the 6 tables you mentioned? If it is easier, you could zip and post a copy of your database with any sensitive data removed.

mccadam is offline Novice

Database Structure

Please see screen shot below of table structure and relationships.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    OK, first of all, it is recommended to not have spaces or special characters (the underscore _ is OK anything else like #,?,/,\etc. should not be used) in your table or field names. You also do not want to use reserved words as table or field names. Here is a link for reserved words in Access.

With respect to your structure, I would put all organizations/people in 1 table and then distinguish them as a branch, a client or a supplier

tblOrganizations
    -pkOrgID primary key, autonumber
    -txtPrimaryName (name of the company or last name of an individual or branch Name)
    -txtSecondaryName
    -txtAddress
    -txtCity
    etc.

I see you have batch and serial number in 2 tables. Are they are same actual values in the two tables or are they different?

Do you modify the products you buy or just sell/distribute them?

Also, I do not see a cost/price field in the stock table, should there be one?

Is each product unique or can someone buy multiples of each one?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.