Don Webb is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Searching Multiple Tables

Thanks to help from forum members, I have been able to learn a lot. However, I have an interesting assignment and need help. I have created a database for task lists. There are currently five tables. The tables all have a field labeled "Date Needed". I need to create a form that would search all tables and list any tasks due on the input date on a common form. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Webb View Post
    Thanks to help from forum members, I have been able to learn a lot. However, I have an interesting assignment and need help. I have created a database for task lists. There are currently five tables. The tables all have a field labeled "Date Needed". I need to create a form that would search all tables and list any tasks due on the input date on a common form. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
    Need more info.

What are the table structures?
    Are the tables related?
    What have you tried?

Don Webb is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I have done nothing more than import five identically structured task lists from excel as tables. They all have the same fields. Category, Item, Date Needed and Date Completed. These are for events so the "Items" may be the same in each table. The only thing I have tried is using a "search" from the Allen Browne site. I had been able to adapt it on some of the other databases I have created.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Webb View Post
    I have done nothing more than import five identically structured task lists from excel as tables. They all have the same fields. Category, Item, Date Needed and Date Completed. These are for events so the "Items" may be the same in each table. The only thing I have tried is using a "search" from the Allen Browne site. I had been able to adapt it on some of the other databases I have created.
    If the tables are identically structured, if would be better and easier if it was one table with an additional field to identify the task (or event).

You could use a Union query to all the data from the 5 tables into one query, then search. but you wouldn't know what task
    (or event) the data returned was associated with.

Create a form with the union query as the record source. In the header of the form, add an unbound text box and two buttons - one to search and one to clear the form. Enter a date in the text box, then press the button. The code behind the button should set a filter. The results would display in the detail section of the form. The 2nd button would clear the filter.

See attached A2K mdb

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.