zrawe16 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

railroad crossing

I'd like to create a database that tracks inspections of railroad crossing sign inspections. Ideally I would have a row for each railroad crossing and then tied to that a table with each date that it was inspected and the inspection information. Each crossing has a unique ID so I thought I'd start with that. I'd like to end up with a for where I select a railroad crossing unique ID and then populate all the other information. And I can press next record to enter in another record for another date.

Thanks..

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks. I've been able to set up both of the tables and create the relationship. I'm having difficulty creating a form that will work.

I can do it by tables by creating a one to many relationship and then setting the inspections table as a subdatasheet to the RR intersections sheet. But I'd like to be able to enter these inspections in by a form. When I create the form I can enter a record for each intersection, but not multiple records for each intersection.

If I am understanding correctly you will probably need to have subforms. What do your tables look like now. Give us a list of the tables and fields you have for each one. This will help giving you the right advise.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks. I think a sub datasheet will work. I have two tables. One is the railroad crossings and info. And the other is the date of inspections and info. In order for a sub form to work does the inspections for have to be a sub data sheet of the railroad crossing table?

Sub forms are the embedding of forms into another form with the advantage of posting information in more than one table but related data. Google sub forms to see how to set them up properly.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.