Soule is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Can't Nail Down UNC Pathname Under Any Circumstances

Hi, All,
    I recently got smart and decided to go from a drive-specific path to a UNC path in a GetObject statement. Of course, now I have the syntax to contend with which is being digitally belligerent. I think I have two problems...

1) The full server path I have is \\swba.adpr.acme.com\data\business-eod. Wouldn't this be too much info. for a UNC pathname? Isn't it simply \\server\folder\file? Do I have three server labels here before I even GET to my folder name? I tried excluding the last two labels and still get same errors (below).

2) Should I leave brackets in or out? My impression was that in a GetObject statement, brackets were for data outside the db. I've changed it 2+ ways. With brackets, I get the "External Name Not Defined" error. If I leave out the brackets I get the "Expected: expression" error on the first backslash of the double backslash.

I'm going mental with what was SUPPOSED to make automating code easier. Any ideas?

Code:

' This next procedure opens Outlook by retrieving e-mail template...
    ' The error lines in this & each forthcoming procedure block simply tell the code where to go in event of error.

On Error GoTo PROC_ERR

Dim objOutlookMsg As Object

objOutlookMsg = GetObject([\\swba.adpr.acme.com\data\business-eod\A1 Form Button Automation Email Templates\A1 Outlook Template.oft])

Debug.Print ("Open Outlook by getting template object")

PROC_EXIT:
    Exit Sub

PROC_ERR:
    MsgBox "Error opening Outlook by getting template object." & vbCrLf & Err.Number & Err.Description, vbExclamation + vbOKOnly, "Get Outlook Thru Template"

Resume PROC_EXIT
    Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Frank

Soule is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Had to drop the brackets and add string quotes. Got it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.