Rameez is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Unhappy Dynamic charts using vba code in access 2003

Hi all,

I need help in preparing charts(not on a form). Please consider the example...

I have a table(zone,sub-zone,month,data) and lets say we have zones A,B,C...etc.
    Each zone has 4 sub-zones S1,S2,S3,S4. Each sub-zone has sale-data for months Jan,Feb,...etc.

I need a combo box on a form with zone names(A,B,C,D) in it. When I click on A, a chart has to be generated with months on x-axis, data on y-axis for all the four sub-zones indicated in the chart.

I have done this with the help of chart wizard (didn't use combo box, used a bound form) and it is working fine...only thing I need it as a seperate report, not as a chart on the form.

PLEASE HELP...any model appliactions will be great

Thanks in advance.

Windows XP Access 2003

Red face

just to add to the stuff...

I used DoCmd.OpenReport "reportname", acViewPreview, , "zone=" & Me.cbo1 & ""

where reportname was a chart already prepared using chart wizard as a report and the name of the zone is in the combo box cbo1.

This code works fine for reports but when it is a chart, the same chart is coming up.

please...please...help required.

davemr is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Charts in access

In access I am trying to go through a series of charts which are embedded in a form. With the selection of a new record in the form, new data is shown in the chart. This works. However the minimum value seems set at 0 in all of the forms. I would like to set a variable for each record in the form for the minimum x axis value. Then when I activate the next page of the form, have it set the minimum value to my variable. I can do this in Excel with the script:

ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    Windows("test file.xls").Activate
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
    ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
    ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
    With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
    .MinimumScale = 0.031
    .MaximumScaleIsAuto = True
    .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
    .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
    .Crosses = xlAutomatic
    .ReversePlotOrder = False
    .ScaleType = xlLinear
    .DisplayUnit = xlNone
    End With
    ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    Windows("test file.xls").Activate

However, I am having a hard time getting this to work in access.

Windows XP Access 2003
    yes, looks like these things work well in excel....but in access they show up errors.

anyways i solved my problem...with regard to charts. though the solution may not be a correct approah...but it did solve the problem.

what i needed was....If the user wanted a graph about sale data between some period...The graph should be plotted only for that period.

what I did is every time the user gave some values in start date and end date....I queried the source table...and put the data in a temp table....the graph was drawn based on temp table...I put a delete from table query in the after update method of the graph....

davemr is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Access flawed?

It is looking like Access is inherantly flawed in this respect. I have seen examples of editing a chart in a report but not in a form. It looks like I may have to do an export to excell to make this work.

The frustrating thing is that I can do this really easily using the mouse and menu commands but can not find the magic words necesary to automate. Excell has a record function so you can see how your manual activities would be captured in code (Paradox database had this also) but with out such a feature in Access it is very hard to figure it out.

thestappa is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So, is there a way to add a where clause to a chart that is on a report? I have a chart on a report using chart rowsource property to get the data. When I use a command button to open the report, I get the "report isn't bound to a table or query chart" error when I try to add a where clause.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.