Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    For starters, there's no "End Sub" for

Private Sub cmdFind_Click()

so presumably you're getting a compile error on that. I would also expect the code in the after update event of the combo, not some other control.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

timbo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    For starters, there's no "End Sub" for

Private Sub cmdFind_Click()

so presumably you're getting a compile error on that. I would also expect the code in the after update event of the combo, not some other control.
    Ok, I have made it work in terms of displaying correctly by using the expression builder, but reading back over your autofill webpage, I see that this would not work for me.

Everything makes sense now except how to do this bit;

In the textbox, instead of the formula as the control source, you'd list the field in the Orders table where you wanted the phone number saved. In the after update event of the combo, you'd have code like this to copy the value over: Me.TextboxName = Me.ComboName.Column(2)

Should my combo box after update code be like this;

Private Sub Combo41_AfterUpdate()

End Sub

Me.Lawyer_Telephone = Me.Combo41.Column(2)
    Me.Lawyer_Mobile = Me.Combo41.Column(3)

End Sub

Windows XP Access 2007
    It would look more like:

Code:
    Private Sub Combo41_AfterUpdate()
       Me.Lawyer_Telephone = Me.Combo41.Column(2)
       Me.Lawyer_Mobile = Me.Combo41.Column(3)
    End Sub
    I think I may have been near you last year. Stayed a week in Marbella, drove all around the area.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Yeah, about 3 hours from me. If you come back I may owe you a beer or two!!

Ok, we are progressing, but very slowly unfortunately.

The phone number now updates but the mobile and email do not, even though the code appears to be the same. ???

Attached the db again.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong in the client input form. I am starting to learn bit by bit. I have also realised that my selection in the lawyer name combo box does not save to the clients table.

I thought this was going to be easy.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Check the column count property of the combo. It's only 2, and you have more columns in the SQL. Further, make sure you select one of the records that has data in those columns. Not all do.

The selection doesn't save because the textboxes are unbound (no control source). The control source would be a field in the clients table intended to save that info.

We enjoyed it there. It was actually a scouting trip looking for potential retirement places. We liked the area, but it wasn't "wow!". In particular, we had anticipated really liking the food, but both of us were rather disappointed in it. We did like the area, the golf and the people.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Brilliant. You are an absolute star! All working now.

Next step is to set up the sales in progress form and figure out how to move it to completed sales. Using what we have done so far, I am hopeful that I will be able to do the sales in progress form myself, but what sort of code would I need to put on the SIP form button to delete the record from SIP table whilst duplicating it to SC table?

Then the final step is to set up a button that opens the "New Appointment" page in Outlook so I can set up follow up reminders. Should be easy right?

Spain is a wonderful place to live. I did find that a lot of the food in Marbella area was very generic stuff aimed at tourists however, but have only been for a few days myself and didn't explore much. The best food is always found in some tucked away little village that you have to get lost to find! Our area in Almerķa is a good mix of tradition and tourism. Lots of people retire here, and as long as you don't get wrapped up in romanticism and ideals, living up a mountain with only a generator and a goat for company then you'll be fine!

Seriously, I couldn't think of a nicer place to live personally, but it is most definitely horses for courses and the purchase costs are quite high.

Marbella and here are worlds apart. Although you'll never be short of a golf course on the Spanish coastline! If you are serious about living here, it is well worth exploring lots of areas and getting a feel for them in a "everyday living" sense, rather than a tourism sense. Just takes a bit of time.

Windows XP Access 2007
    You're working late! Generally speaking, you wouldn't want to move records around. You could have a single table with a "status" field. That would be the "normalized" approach, and would let you query records of either status or both easily. If you really want 2 tables, you would execute an append query to add the record to the other table and then a delete query to delete it from the first.

We aren't set on Spain, rather we're exploring options anywhere. We liked the idea of Spain, because of the golf, the weather and the language (we both used to speak Spanish, and figure we could pick it back up relatively quickly). The idea of moving to another country is appealing, as we would like to broaden our horizons as it were. We really liked Italy, including the food, but the language would be a bit more of a challenge (let's face it, you don't learn as quickly when you get older). Perhaps on our next trip abroad we'll try to get to your area. Sadly, it's an undertaking to travel over there.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

I have a two and a half month old daughter so working in the early hours is not unheard of!!

The status thing actually makes sense. I could then view all completed or pending sales on a separate report. Wouldn't generally look at the data in a table form. I am also thinking that I will simplify the reminder thing to a simple pop up message when you click the save record button. May be trying to walk before I can run with the other approach. I'll get some more done this week and hopefully will only need minimal help from here on!

Regarding the languages, my first thought is that if you can learn sql etc, Spanish will return in no time and Italian wouldn't be too much of a problem either!! Although I do agree that learning a new language takes a bit longer when you are older, the key is simply putting yourself in situations where you have no choice but to speak/communicate in their language as best you can. I've known a few 65+ year olds who have bought out in the country and became authentic Spaniards in a year. The mind is amazing at any age. It's all about getting into uncomfortable situations so that you are forced to adapt.

Personally, I would wait until retirement (providing it's not too far off) and then travel around for 6 months, spending 2 to 4 weeks in each potential area of interest. If retirement is a way off then you can only do what you are doing now, and shoot over when time allows.

Right, day of work ahead with hopefully some time to really get this db ready! I do find that I need a block of uninterrupted time to get things done on it,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.