abc is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Synchronized Combo Box Difficulty

I have been trying to implement a synchronized combo box in some of my access files and have not been successful. I have studied/copied examples & cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I don't have any errors, but the second combo box is not being populated. I have attached the zip file. Any help is greatly appreciated.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    What you are referring to are cascading combo boxes. Here is a tutorial on how to make them happen.

http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut10.htm

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Most of your issues were related to having lookup fields in your tables. Lookups (combo and list boxes) are best left for your forms. Take a look at this link that details some of the problems table-level lookups can cause.

In the attached database, I think I have cleaned up the lookups. I also renamed some of your ID fields to something more descriptive. I also replaced the text field that referred to the lookup tables with the number field (key field) since relational databases are more efficient with numbers rather than text. I also established the proper relationships for your tables in the relationship window which should help with your forms later on.

It is also recommended to not have spaces or special characters in your table or field names, so I cleaned those up as well. I also changed field names of the date and value fields in the journal table to something else since the words date and value are reserved words in Access and should not be used as table or field names. This link has a list of reserved words.

Hopefully your cascading combo box set up will now work as you had hoped.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.