Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Scrollbar/Slider Bar on a Continuous Form

I am using the Microsoft Forms Scrollbar 2.0 ActiveX object. I have embedded it in a continuous form. I have connected the on updated event to populate a bound text box. So far so good. Problem is my scrollbar, which appears on every visible row, moves in unison. If I scroll on the first record, all the rest of the scrollbars scroll. only the text box on the first record updates though. If I scroll on the 2nd record, the same thing, they all move, but only that record updates. So functionally it is doing what I want it to do, but cosmetically it looks crazy to see all those scroll bars moving. It is also confusing to the user.

I tried binding the scroll bar to a Control Source, but Access would allow a bound ActiveX control on a continuous form.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm willing to consider anything from a fix to starting from scratch, whichever is the simplest and the quickest.

Thanks,

Paul

June7 is online now VIP
    That is the issue with Continous and Datasheet views - all instances of unbound control show same behavior. Only solution I know is Single view.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Paul H is offline Expert
    There is an option group on the same form that functions independtly on each row.

June7 is online now VIP
    The option group is not bound? I have never used option group in Detail section so if it behaves differently was not aware. I know that other unbound controls exhibit the described behavior.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Paul H is offline Expert
    According to my manager, they finagled the option group to make it work, but of course he doesn't know what they did. I've managed to trick the scroll bar into only displaying on the selected record. It is awkward, but serviceable. I may come back to this.

If you know of another scroll/slider bar available and how I can import it, I'd be interested in hearing about it. The one I'm using is kind of ugly.

June7 is online now VIP
    Never used one, suggest Google search.

There must be some VBA code associated with the option group to achieve the behavior. I would have to examine the project if you want to provide.

You can attach the project (or other files) to post. Make copy, remove confidential data, run Compact & Repair, zip if large. The Attachment Manager is below the Advanced post editor.

Paul H is offline Expert
    I would love to. I could never strip out the confidential portions of this. They are very strict here, but thank you for your interest. I'll keep you posted.

June7 is online now VIP
    Okay, you could remove all data since data is not the issue.

Paul H is offline Expert
    OK, I'm back fiddling with this again. Functionally my scroll bar works. I have a box that hides it on all rows except the active row. I can't even say how this works, but it does cut down on the confusion of seeing the bar slide simultaniously of every visible row. The confusing part now is when the user moves to the next row, the bar is left in the position it was after updating the previous row. The text box that stores the value remains at 0 though. I would like to slide the bar back to the far left after each row is updated, but nothing seems to work. I've tried the after update on the text box (txtScore), but I can't trigger it. I've tried the After Update on the form, but for some reason that sets the value on the row just scored back to 1. After Insert doesn't work either. I'm using the Microsoft Scrollbar 2.0.

I can't say this is real important, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul H is offline Expert
    I'm going to bump this up just a bit. This is a bit more essential than I thought. Panelists using this application will rate are set of product attributes 1 to 100. So as not to influence the panelist the scrollbar should rest to the left for each attribute. Having tested this dozens of times, it takes just that extra gram of effort move the scrollbar one way or the other. In my opinion It should be set to zero for each attribute.

It also looks like more of a program bug than it is, but appearances matter.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.