dshillington is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Insert Multiple Checkbox Values to one Textbox

First of all I want to thank everyone on this forum for their knowledge and expertise in VBA, it has been an invaluable tool in assisting me with any questions I might have had. But now I’m really stumped, and my hours of googling have resulted in no answers.

I have a form with 20 bound checkboxes on it. These checkboxes, when checked, insert different people to cc my form’s contents to. This function works as its intended (thank you pbaldy).

My current problem is that when each box is checked, I want to display in the body of my auto-generated email a value (the checkbox name) associated with each checked box. What I have tried to do is create an unbound text box on my form that auto-populates with the checkbox name (value) each time a checkbox is checked. However, I need this textbox to auto-update if a checkbox is unchecked in case someone accidentally checks it. This is not happening and my frustration is growing…….from there I will reference this text box for the body of my email.

I am using the following code for each checkbox and can’t seem to figure this out…….

Private Sub Checkbox1_Click()
    Dim strcomment As String
    strcomment = Me.Checkbox1
    If Me.Checkbox1 = "-1" Then
    Me.Text187 = "MAA" & vbCrLf & strcomment & Me.Text187
    End If

End Sub

Private Sub Checkbox1_AfterUpdate()
    Dim strcomment As String
    strcomment = Me.Checkbox1
    If Me.Checkbox1 = "0" Then
    Me.Text187 = "" & vbCrLf & strcomment & Me.Text187
    End If
    End Sub

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    For starters, you want to test for -1 and 0 not "-1" and "0" (drop the quotes). Secondly, I would simply use the after update event of the checkbox and use an Else clause to handle the False. Finally, the task at hand can be easy or tricky, depending on what you're adding. Given your example, it would be fairly easy. This should delete "MAA" from the textbox:

Code:
    If (Me.Checkbox1) Then
      Me.Text187 = "MAA" & vbCrLf & strcomment & Me.Text187
    Else
      Me.Text187 = Replace(Me.Text187, "MAA", "")
    End If
    That said, it would also take out any other instances of "MAA" that might appear in the textbox, so it could get problematic. I would probably not try to build this string until the user was done making their selections. That way you don't have to worry about undoing anything.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.