K Roger is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Data entry subform scrolling through a joined file.

I am a birder (and novice but improving ACCESS coder/user). As such, I would like help with creating a form/subform for entering field data into an ACCESS database.

My idea is much like a typical inventory database, but without having to enter each record individually for each observation in combo box style.

I am using ACCESS 2003.

First I would have a form that allows entry of observer, date, locality, weather conditions - a no brainer and don't need help.

However, as a child subform, I would like to display a whole list of birds (in simple query format) at a time (from another table) and then be able to scroll down the list of about 300 species, entering the number of birds and other observations for each species found and then press the enter key only once (may be data on multiple screens). The code behind this keystroke/button would then ADD a separate record to a table (as a child to the master record above) for each displayed record that has a number >0 that also includes data (species) from the joined list.

I realize this could be accomplished with a simple Combo Box style of entry, but data entry would go much more efficiently and with many fewer keystrokes, if I could work from a list of maybe 30 species on a screen and being able to scroll down through the whole list.

In edition, on another subform (tab), I would then like to list the actual entered observations for editing and/or checking purposes, all this without advancing to another record on the main form. I assume this could be accomplished in a simple query, but I am not sure how to requery the database to refresh the record with the newly entered data.

I would think this routine would have applications in the business world but I have been unable find any such code or templates that does accomplish this type of data entry.

Any help with coding or links to a reference of a template that could be modified would be appreciated.

Season's greetings,
    Roger

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm not sure how well it fits, but I have a similar situation with vehicle rates. Users are entering data into a subform for a driver who may have used any of several available rates during their shift. What I do is populate the child table with a record for each rate and 0 hours when they open the data entry form. That lets the user simply tab down the column and enter hours for any rate actually used. When they close the form, I run a delete query that deletes any record with a 0 quantity. I'm only dealing with 5-10 rates. I'm not sure how well that would work with 300. It would work, but would the interface be usable? I throw it out there for you to ponder.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

K Roger is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Paul,

Thanks for the response. It looks interesting but there has to be a more elegant/practical way of accomplishing this task.

Roger

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Let me know if you find one.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.