comteck is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Converting Access Database

Is there any way to convert an access database file so that it becomes stand alone (i.e where access does not have to be open in order to open the database)?

If not, is it possible to hide the navigation pane (tables, queries, forms, etc) where the person using the database does not have access to the navigation pane?

Thanks
    comteck

drewetzel is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you save the database as a .accdr file type instead of .accdb, then have the user download and install the access runtime file they can open it without having access installed on their computer and will not be able to see the navigation pane.

Here is the link for the 2007 runtime file http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=4438. If you have a different version, just google "download access (year) runtime file" and you'll find it.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by drewetzel View Post
    If you save the database as a .accdr file type instead of .accdb, then have the user download and install the access runtime file they can open it without having access installed on their computer and will not be able to see the navigation pane.
    It doesn't have to be an accdr to be used with the Access Runtime. But you are correct, you can use the Access Runtime and then the default Ribbons and Navigation Pane will not be available because you can't make changes in an Access database being used in the runtime.

But
    Quote Originally Posted by comteck
    ...(i.e where access does not have to be open in order to open the database)?
    That statement will never be true because Access MUST be open (whether it is the full version or the Runtime version) in order to use the forms and reports. Now, if you want to build an interface using VB.NET, C#.NET, VB6, or other programming languages, you can and you can use the tables and queries of the database (but no other objects) from there.

Thanks for the reply Bob, but I'm not sure how to build the interface that you mentioned. I'd like to at least get it working using accdr.

So, I downloaded the access runtime file, and installed it. I saved the file by putting .accdr as an extension (I'm not sure if this is the correct way of doing this). However, when I run the database.accdr, it is exactly the same as before (i.e access opens up, and the navigation pane is fully visible).

How should I be saving the .accdr file, and should I be running the RUNTIME file first and then opening the .accdr file from there, or can I just double click on the database,accdr file?

Again, thanks for your replies.
    comteck

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You can't install the Runtime on a machine with the full version of Access. You would need to test on a machine which does NOT have Access installed.

Thanks for the help. I'll try it on a different machine.

comteck

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.