TheChairman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Union query with attachment file type in Access 2007

Hi everyone, I have two tables - tblEmployees and tblContacts. Both tables collect slightly different data, but they also have a number of similar fields, among which are fields for employee and contact photographs. These are of the attachment data type. I was attempting to generate a report that would display, among other things, the photos of all employees and contacts matching a certain criteria. So I created a union query.

Everything was working great until I selected the attachment files and got an error. I understand that attachment data types don't work with union queries (sure wish someone had told me that BEFORE I had generated all the queries and reports). According to some of the stuff I read online, I was recommended to use OLE. Note that the files are JPEGs, which complicates matters since OLE only takes bitmaps. I need to do the following:

1.) Replace the attachmentImage field in my tblEmployees and tblContacts tables;

2.) Alter my data entry forms, frmEmployees and frmContacts, to allow the user to attach or reference a JPEG file

3.) Generate a report based on my union query that will show the employee and contact pictures.

Any help would be most appreciated! Thank you!

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    From your post, it seems that you could select a subset of records from the attached tables and create temporary tables on which to work the union query???

TheChairman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks. I decided to just compromise by having two separate reports: one for employees and one for contacts.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.