CLT49er is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Combo Box Option 3 with multiple Linked Tables

I am currently using access 2007 to create a form so the call staff (multiple users) can look up certain records in the database and make changes to these records if needed. The form is on the shared drive and it has a split wizard that creates a front end and a back end. The front end is then put on each users desktop so multiple users can access it at the same time.

The form uses a combo box with option 3 to look up the record that needs to be updated. This works fine but we are wanting to link another table to the form. When the form is linked to multiple tables, it seems to change the options available in the combo box wizard. The wizard only gives me the first and second option but the third option is gone.

New records are added to the table (from an excel file) on a weekly basis. Is there anything I can do to get the third option? The only thing I can think of is to combine the excel tables before they are imported into access. This way the back end will go to the same table. It is more work and possible with only two tables but I am not sure if I can do this efficiently with several tables.

Thanks for the help

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I may look quite ignorant here, but what is an option?

when I select the combo box from the ribbon and place it in the form header, the combo box wizard pops up. Before the other table was linked, I would have 3 options to choose from on the first page of the combo box wizard. In order for the call staff to find the record, they like to just type in part of the name and the closest record will come up in the combo box. Option 3 seems to give that ability.

The problem is that when I link the other table, that third option on the first page of the combo box wizard disappears. Is there another way find each record by typing it in the same way that the call staff likes to search for it?

These are the three options

(Option 1) - I want the combo box to look up the values in the table or query.

(Option 2) - I will type the values that I want.

(Option 3) - Find a record on my form based on the value I selected in my combo box.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    OK, I'm smarter now than I was! You may have to change the way you have defined the combo box. Here is an article which may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287658

Thanks for the link. It seems that I was trying to use the same procedure as method 1 mentioned in the link. Method 3 seems like it might work and I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the help! The problem was in the join type that was specified.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.